Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

300 inline 6

IMO...you're looking at alotta coin to get that 300 to those numbers.

{x2!}

Personally, I've never been a fan of the 302/351W in trucks because
it pushes the powerband up and doesn't suit my needs...
Yeah and with a manual transmission it seems even worse! :/
So I advance the timing on the cam 4 degrees in my 351w. :)

That craziness lowered the felt-peak-horsepower but made it much more
drivable. I don't recommend it to anyone with an automatic, chances are
they won't like it. But that and the 205 degree thermostat has increased
my gas mileage by a noticeable amount. No numbers on that yet because
of the circumstances.

-------------------------
--> BS flags out all over the field! <-- LOL :)
Just trust me at this point, I'll get numbers later and prove it to myself too.
I was driving in Mexico and could see an increase in miles on the trip meter
for a certain fuel level over the same highway as before. The change has
been easy to see over-and-over with my little "18.2" gallon '91 F150 tank.
--------------------------

Re-checked my ignition timing and it's now at 14 degrees BTDC, up from
10 degrees before. With all the wear and slack in the old timing chain and
sprockets I was expecting about a 5 degree change in the ignition timing
but nope, just a 4 degree change total.

Hmmm... it might have been 9+1/2 degrees tho and now 14+1/2 degrees?
Pretty easy to have those numbers and not be able to see it, huh? ;)

Alvin in AZ

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
IMO...you're looking at alotta coin to get that 300 to those numbers. If you have an idea of what you're wanting to do with the truck it would be easier determining what engine will set you up best. Personally, I've never been a fan of the 302/351W in trucks because it pushes the powerband up and doesn't suit my needs, and if you add swap gears like Chris suggested, you'll be doing even more screaming at the top end.

Side question for Chris...is he not going to need any type of stand alone computers to drop a 94-97 W into a dentside? Which would then run another few hundred, right?

not if you drop a carbed intake on it and run it carbed......

and really my 351W and 4.10's wasnt bad on the highway really... not much worse than 3.55's... really aint a huge difference.. i was only turning 2800 rpms... which if that is matched to the right parts, like my build was you'll still get pretty good mileage... now if it was matched to 31's it woulda been down around 2400 probably or so... then i may have gotten a lil more mileage, but not much more..

It all depends on what you want. However my humble .02 after having or driving 289, 300I6, 302, 351, 390, 460, 514 stroker----i have to say that it doesn't get much better than a 300I6 for all around low end power and bulletproof service. Especially so if paired with a 4 speed tranny with the Low1st. I had an 89F150 with this combo and it was fabulous. You won't win any speed and "cool sound" awards but for durability and torque and just gettin the job done---it works.

It all depends on what you want. However my humble .02 after having or driving 289, 300I6, 302, 351, 390, 460, 514 stroker----i have to say that it doesn't get much better than a 300I6 for all around low end power and bulletproof service. Especially so if paired with a 4 speed tranny with the Low1st. I had an 89F150 with this combo and it was fabulous. You won't win any speed and "cool sound" awards but for durability and torque and just gettin the job done---it works.

This is the same reason I said Just forget about doing any upgrades.

He already has the best of both worlds

...Just forget about doing any upgrades.
He already has the best of both worlds
x2! (is it ok to agree with Dennis?)

FORDMAN300 sez:
my truck's {got} 3.55 gears if you guys were wondering
Cool, but I'm wondering about which transmission you got.

And 31" tires but what size?
...235/85-16's on 7" wheels or 265/75-16's on 8" wheels?
(those are more like 31.5" BTW)

Butthead in AZ
'75 F150 = 235/85-16E's on 7" wheels
'91 Bronco = 265/75-16E's on 8" wheels

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup

X2. Well said.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
not if you drop a carbed intake on it and run it carbed........

So you're just going to re-allocate, all new, you're talking what $5-600 for that carb and intake. And will the heads still work?

and really my 351W and 4.10's wasnt bad on the highway really... not much worse than 3.55's... really aint a huge difference.. i was only turning 2800 rpms... which if that is matched to the right parts, like my build was you'll still get pretty good mileage... now if it was matched to 31's it woulda been down around 2400 probably or so... then i may have gotten a lil more mileage, but not much more..

I hear ya...I just try keeping my rigs under 2600rpm at 65mph.

Hey guys, got a problem with my 300... Under acceleration oil pressure drops to nearly nothing! using casterol gtx 20-w50, and a napa gold filter, could it have something to do with the pickup line?

Put a mechanical gauge to verify it,don't go by the gauge

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey guys, got a problem with my 300... Under acceleration oil pressure drops to nearly nothing! using casterol gtx 20-w50, and a napa gold filter, could it have something to do with the pickup line?

How long after you put that filter on did you notice the problem? I'd wanna pull the pan and see if there's any garbage in the pan as well. Dennis is right as well, throw a true gauge on that thing and see what happens. The stock gauge, to my understanding, more or less gives you a baseline when you KNOW it's in good working order.

Ok guys im doing the oil pump tomorrow, when i take off the oil pan, will there be room for it to clear everything? its a 78 f150 4x4 with a 300.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I know with the 8's you have to hold your tongue just right, wiggle your ears, and make some weird faces to slide the pan out just right...I wouldn't imagine the 300 would be any tougher.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
^^^I know with the 8's you have to hold your tongue just right, wiggle your ears, and make some weird faces to slide the pan out just right...I wouldn't imagine the 300 would be any tougher.

Ben,

Any clearance differences there since your truck is a highboy and he's talking about a 150? He may have a lot less room, you think?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Shouldn't be, the Bronco the only clearance issue are the motor mounts/towers.

well i got r dun and took about 2.5 hours total for oil pump and pan gasket. mind you i havent slept in 32 hours so i was a lil slow getting thigns done. and there are NO clearance issues on a f150 4x4 stock height up front 2 in blocks in the rear. just have to take off the neck for the dipstick.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts