Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

250/350 differences

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
A auto will do fine on a plow truck. It is actually the preferred tranny because of the give they have, they break less drivetrain parts.
I pushed snow for 10 hours in a f250 with a 4.6 the night we got 49 inches of snow. the tranny gauge never went to much higher than normal driving. I have plowed with both manual and auto trannys. I like a manual tranny most of the time but for plowing and doing parking lots I will take a auto any day.

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
An automatic will definitely tend to overheat while plowing. I wouldn't even think about plowing with an automatic unless it was a C6 with an external cooler.

If you know how to drive a manual correctly, it will be fine.

I have a company around me that uses dodge 2500 ALL with automatic trannnys and they all have temp gauges and they NEVER have problems overheating at all....

Jerry

Are the f-series transmissions interchangeable as long as they have the same model #? I need to replace the transmission on my 93 F-350 4x4 automatic I think its the E40D. Is the F150 transmission with the same number a possible swap. If so will it swap right in or will I need modifications. What do I need to look out for?

Thanks

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Yes till 97 HD trucks for sure . The 94 newer they revamped some stuff .Hold up better

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
i plowed with a stick truck for year while growin up. after about an hour you get sick of the clutch and your leg will tell you why!

I run a little yard care and in winter we plow plow plow.
We have learned that a manual trans(clutch exempt here) while more durable is slower in direction change and reverse speed, and if you do alot of back and forth every summer is a good time to put in a new clutch, because I can almost promise that it will go out when you need it most. Sycro's are another little thing that goes away in a few yrs too. Plus don't forget alot of the population doesn't even know what a clutch is.
Automatics are faster forward to reverse(and back) and go faster backward than a manual. Our 85 F-150 w/351 and AOD went 139K mi with a 8" Western on it with just a tranny cooler. E40D in our 94 F-super Duty made only 73K mi before it died, never had a plow. Have never killed a C-6 plowing either and the 2005 F-250's 5spd auto has 117K, 8.5' Blizzard plow since day one, and the 5.4 hasn't missed a beat either.
If you expect good life from an automatic trans while plowing get a good cooler on it, a bottle of Lucas trans conditioner and axles geared for towing or use low range when the blade is down, you won't regret it.

Are the f-series transmissions interchangeable as long as they have the same model #? I need to replace the transmission on my 93 F-350 4x4 automatic I think its the E40D. Is the F150 transmission with the same number a possible swap. If so will it swap right in or will I need modifications. What do I need to look out for?

Thanks

"It's a question of mind of matter. If I don't mind it don't matter"

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts