Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

250/350 differences

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
Well it seems like I keep getting more and more snow accounts, I just had 3 neighbors ask me to take care of there driveways this winter, plus my three $5,000 accounts. So I am now looking for a new truck. I really want a 350 but there still pretty expensive so what I would like to know is besides the front axle is there any frame size or strength differences between the 250 and 350?? I know the 250's have ttb and the 350's have solid axle, anything else I should consider as far as durability goes because its going to be a plow/work truck. I am pretty dead set on getting one with a 351, the 460 would be nice but the gas mileage would kill me.

Last edited:
I am pretty dead set on getting one with a 351, the 460 would be nice but the gas mileage would kill me.
1) i bet the actual mileage, especially while plowing won't be that different

2) the prices of trucks, especially 460s is in the crapper. might be a great time to buy one

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
1) i bet the actual mileage, especially while plowing won't be that different

2) the prices of trucks, especially 460s is in the crapper. might be a great time to buy one

Ya maybe but it is still gonna be my daily driver. So im going with the 351.

Michigan
250 has coil springs up front and the 350 doesnt :rofl: smilietease

Michigan
Yea im well aware lol. Inside joke between Fords4life

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
460 do not like slow speeds Gas wise (Like they r better on highy either)

But I got 9mpg while plowing with 460 5spd 4:10 rears F350
And 10 on high way

Same truck 351 I got 10 plowing and
12 on a good day on highway .

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
No plow experience here, but would a manual tranny be better than an auto? Something to think about if you're gonna buy.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yes Tony it would. Plowing is perfect condition for heating the tranny to ungodly temps. Manuals have a much better habit of staying cool ;)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Southern boys...

Hardly anybody plows with a standard because it tears up clutches. (And, though most guys won't admit it, it's easier with all the forward/back stuff...)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hmph... I don't speak from experience, but it makes sense to me that the torque converter would be creating an INCREDIBLE amount of heat with that kind of usage, just by the nature of the way the torque converter operates.

Perhaps I'm wrong :p

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
If you dont know how to work a clutch then you will kill it. Our plow Dodge on the farm didnt go through any clutches in like 16 or so years we lived there. If you know how to plow auto or manual is fine.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
It does...but you tend to only plow snow when it's cold out.

I'm really no expert on plowing, but I do know everybody around here who does a lot of driveways and parking lots prefers an auto.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
wanna buy mine?

1990 F250 351W well taken cared of still healty E4od

4.10's LS!

Michigan
Trans temp guage and he will be fine.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
A manual will hold up find . Had 10 yrs same clutch on dads old dodge.
Its th stop to throw in reverse that gets old.

f350 4X4 Dually dump at work 45000 miles Plow 50x400 lot and office is on 3rd e4od. And thats with a big cooler.

If you r moving when start to plow all is good if you start out pushing things break auto or manual .

Clutch replaced by me. $300 Me replacing a e40d $1500 . Tel me which is better?

Last edited:

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
all the contracted plow trucks around here are 4wheelers and manual ford pickups.

andym

Real men are fanatics
An automatic will definitely tend to overheat while plowing. I wouldn't even think about plowing with an automatic unless it was a C6 with an external cooler.

If you know how to drive a manual correctly, it will be fine.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts