Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2011 F250 6.7L Alignment Issue at 15K

Just curious if anyone else has come across this issue. Truck was customized by Tuscany out of Elkhart, IN by dealer in IL prior to purchase. 6in lift with 20in wheels and 325/60Rs (BF Goodrich ATs). Right out of the door, when turning sharp turns front wheels would rub. Dealer/Tuscany said they forgot to put the 1/4in front spacers in. That was done. Minor improvement but can live with it. However, a couple of weeks back I noticed, on zero grade straight roads, truck was drifting to the right when I let go of steering wheel. It was pretty noticeable and something I had not felt before.

Took it in to dealer. After two days in shop, diagnosis was that the "non-adjustable" shim on the right front needed to be replaced with an adjustable shim. They did that and my test drive after picking it up reveals same issue although dealer said they had their service manager perform his "Quality Inspection" and felt everthing was right. Oh, I forgot to mention that when I got the truck back after the first day, it not only still pulled to right but to drive down the road straight I need to turn wheel a few inches to right. They had obviously not paid attention to the steering wheel first go around and I mentioned that morning of day two.

Now, does anyone here who has experience really believe they needed to take out the factory shim and replace it with an adjustable one or is that just a quick fix in their mind? If so, why would Ford put non-adjustable front shims in a new vehicle if that particular part is needed to adjust the alignment? I just cannot believe after 15K I needed an alignment on a truck that has not at all been beat on in any manner. Thanks for anyone who has some insight.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Those adjustable/non adjustable shims have been used for years. The aftermarket changes have altered the original steering geometry, so bottom line, Ford has no responsibility in this matter. That out of the way, if you put everything exactly straight, it will pull to the right in the right lane, and pull to the left in the left lane. Remember the crown in the road. You can adjust this out to go straight in the right lane, but all things considered, it should still pull left in the left lane. Brakes hanging up can make it pull. 4x4 components can make them pull. Tire pressure can make them pull. Lots of stuff to check here.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts