Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2006 E-350 fuel pump (gasoline)

MuddyAxles

MuddyAxles~a van man~
I am now using the fourth fuel pump since I bought this vehicle in August 2006. Fortunately I have only had to pay for one pump and the rest have failed "quickly" enough so as to come under warranty.

The first pump failed the winter before last, winter 2008-09 during a cold spell. I thought I may have had moisture build-up and super treated with isopropyl alcohol (6-12 oz. or 16 oz. bottles in a 31-gallon tank). When that didn't help and symptoms grew worse even after a short spell above freezing, I took it to the dealer.

All they could find was like a fine "dust" of rust which may have clogged the pick-up filter (they used to be called a sock, but aren't anything like they used to be). Let's call it the pre-filter. Even that filter didn't seem to be coated with anything. The rust came from the joint where Quigley installed a new end in the tank, shortening it to allow for the transfer case.

The dealer had the inside end of the tank coated to prevent further rusting. At that time I had about 43,000 miles on the vehicle. In April '09 we went on vacation and experienced the same symptoms. Not wanting to be at the mercy of strangers, we limped along across Oklahoma until we reached friends where he and I replaced the pump yet again, after a dealer check revealed that, under moderate to heavy acceleration, there was a drop in fuel pressure.

That brings us up to this year. Now I am up th about 55,000 miles on the vehicle. In March I started having the same problems again, much less severe when the tank was full, more so when below half. I got the tank to below 1/4 and took it to the dealer again.

They tried to order a sensing module of some kind, but it didn't arrive and then they learned it would be on back order for weeks, if not months. The symptoms were gone when they replaced the fuel pump yet again, and now the second time under warranty.

I don't run my tank dry. In fact, I rarely let it get below 1/2 to 1/3. When I changed the pump, there was not a speck of anything on the floor of the tank. I don't get dirty fuel, rarely fill from a can, and don't drain the can when I do. 90+% of the gasoline I buy is from the same regionally branded stations and contain NO ethanol.

I do use a fuel additive...well, I did until this last pump failure. I believe I get slightly better performance and mileage using it...maybe 0.25 mpg or so. It is an oil based additive which cleans, emulsifies water, and lubricates any moving parts in the system. It is recommended by the manufacturer for both gasoline and diesel engines.

The product is normally used at 0.33 ounce per gallon of gasoline, but label directions claim it can be used at two or three times that rate for serious problem fuel systems, which I never do since mine is nearly new and the stuff isn't cheap, about $30.00/gal.

I have used this product in various Fords with various types of pressurized fuel systems without trouble, although all of those vehicles pre-dated anything produced which might be E-85 compatible. I'm just thinking...

I still have the pump I pulled in Oklahoma, the dealer only needed the receipt. I would be interested in exactly what is happening to make these pumps fail, especially since I had used the same gasoline brand and fuel additive for over two years and 45,000 miles. I am really thinking the additive was not the problem.

Does anyone have a clue, heard or seen anything similar, or know of incompatibility of additive products and the later fuel pumps? If so, please jump in because I, as well as my small-town Ford dealer, am baffled by this one. Don't ever say never, or always, 'cause there's always something like this to mess that all up.:headbang:

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Sorry so late, but dial-up and lightning dont play well together. I've been following this for a while, and I have to still say it's a contamination issue. Whether its trash introduced into the fuel, or a tank/fuel line delamination problem. Those fine particles of rust can linger for an unusually long time whether inside the tank or inside the lines. This "coating" of the tank, how was it done? Could it delaminate and intermittently clog it up? Remember, the way these issues show, they cause massive issues, then when you shut it off, all contaminates "magicly float away", creating an "intermittent" problem.

MuddyAxles

MuddyAxles~a van man~
Hey! Thanks for the comeback

Oh, don't I know about the dial-up problems, modem/computer/ now cable box/router/etc...but lately...shhh, I'll jinx it!

So, I don't know what the coating was used in the tank...dealer handled it all, but it is a process used by those restoring old vehicles and tractors and cost me $60. When I had the tank off I could see just the end and maybe 6" of that end of the tank were treated.

Also, there was nothing that could be seen in the few gallons of gas other than one of those foil circles that got away from me when I treated with isopropyl "dry gas" thinking I had winter water build-up causing driveability problems.

I mean there was nothing, not a grain of sand, no flakes, "dust", nothing that could be seen...and we sloshed it back and forth several times looking.

In addition, once the problems started again, I immediately replaced the fuel filter which might have had a few specks come out the intake, but it would offer little resistance to lung-powered air being blown through it. I'm not saying it wasn't what you suggest, just filling in any blanks I might have left open.

I did not see the inside of the tank on the third replacement. Also, OEM lining I could see on 1st and 2nd replacement looked like new. Of course, it is difficult to see the top without mirrors, which I did not use.

Contamination in the line...it seems that testing at full throttle on a fairly substantial hill...we're talking 4,500-5,000 rpms in 2nd & 3rd gear (scangage II said about 20+ gpm)...would produce enough flow, near maximum capacity, to flush out any residue. This was preformed each time a pump was replaced to see if it was going to work ok.

I have written the manufacturer of the additive I was using (and still use and have used for about 20 years in other Fords up to as late as 1997 model year). They have had no reports of incompatibility with fuel system parts, but did mention, for the diesel owners, reports of steel tanks rusting with diesel in them. This additive is an oil based product that cleans, lubricates, and holds water in suspension allowing it to be gradually passed through the system and not accumulate in the tank.

I have one of the failed pump assemblies. The additive people are willing to take a look at the pump to see what they can see. I had thought I might try to find someone who could find what part failed and replace that part for less than the nearly $400 Ford gets for a replacement. Either way, I hope to find the cause somehow.

If anyone knows of a business that gets into that kind of work, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks all.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts