Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2002 F150 4WD 5.4 Auto

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
ATTN ALL MODS, SUPERS, AND ADMINS, THIS IS IN THE CERTIFIED TECH FORUM!!!smilieneenar :rolling laugh: smilietease

Ok techs, I replaced the DF Caliper this afternoon, along with front pads and had the rotors turned.

I bled all the brakes until I had brand new fluid coming through the line at all four corners, starting at the PR, then DR, then PF, then DF bleeders.

Problem is I have still got a spongy brake pedal. The reason for the change was a sticking bottom caliper piston on the DF caliper.

Is there anything special I need to do to the 4WABS that I don't know about, or should I have it pressure tested at a local shop?

:headbang:

Thanks in advance all.

blacksnapon

Staff member
ATTN ALL MODS, SUPERS, AND ADMINS, THIS IS IN THE CERTIFIED TECH FORUM!!!smilieneenar :rolling laugh: smilietease

Ok techs, I replaced the DF Caliper this afternoon, along with front pads and had the rotors turned.

I bled all the brakes until I had brand new fluid coming through the line at all four corners, starting at the PR, then DR, then PF, then DF bleeders.

Problem is I have still got a spongy brake pedal. The reason for the change was a sticking bottom caliper piston on the DF caliper.

Is there anything special I need to do to the 4WABS that I don't know about, or should I have it pressure tested at a local shop?

:headbang:

Thanks in advance all.
First thought is master cyl. Then front wheel bearings. Watch rubber brake lines for "ballooning" when pushing the brake.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Talked to the local dealer here, and they said I should try driving down a gravel road and make the ABS work by stomping on the brakes. Do that about 10 times and it MIGHT work out the bubble they think I have in the ABS system, otherwise I would have to bring it in for a service bleed where they manually open the ABS valves via the computer and bleed the brakes.

Everything worked fine before the caliper change.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Vince you were on the right path as usual. I had the service bleed done, they did pull a few bubbles out, but told me to replace the Master Cylinder soon as it was going out. So tomorrow I am going to replace it.

Ford Truck Articles