Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2000 Ranger problem

Please allow me to pick your brains about a problem I'm having.

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4WD
3.0L Flex Fuel 6cyl
California Emissions
4 wheel anti-lock brakes
49,000 miles

I'm getting a load rubbing sound and steering wheel vibration which has been going on for quite some time (1 1/2 years), but getting progressively worse. The sound is similar to metal on metal brake grinding. Here's the kicker, it gets worse after engaging and releasing the 4wd.

The front brake calipers, pads and hardware were replace a month ago and the rotors are within factory specs, have no heat scoring and there's no brake pedal pulsation.
I've inspected the front end.
No ball joint movement (loaded and unloaded)
Inner and outer tie rods have no movement and there's no excessive lash in the steering rack.
Visual inspection of the wheel hubs; no heat scoring or any lateral movement.

Now, this particular model doesn't have locking hubs. It locks via an electric motor on the transfer case, which was defective, replaced and is working properly.
The front drive consists of a drive shaft, from the transfer case to the front differential. The differential is connected to the wheel hubs with 2 CV joints.
A visual inspection of the front drive shaft and CV joints reveals no obvious signs of wear or movement. The CV boots are intact and undamaged.

This is blowing my mind. Has anyone ever experienced an issue with this type of Ford setup?

Last edited:

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Yeah, my buddys superduty does this...no idea why

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

F150

easy
Does the noise change on turns?(wheel bearings)

Don't be so quick to rule out ball joints either. Ford had a less than stellar supplier at the turn of the century. (like the oil pans in the early 90's)

Does the noise change on turns?(wheel bearings)

Don't be so quick to rule out ball joints either. Ford had a less than stellar supplier at the turn of the century. (like the oil pans in the early 90's)

Ball joints were replaced at 34,000 miles.

The noise does change (increases) when the road curves left. I highly suspected this is a bearing/hub issue. There was also an issue with the ABS in the LF hub about 4 years ago when the ABS was kicking in every time you stopped. The issue was circumvented by pulling the ABS fuse at the Ford dealer.
Hub assemblies were almost $250 a pop from the dealer only back then. Today they're a little over $100 each from numerous after market (Moog, etc.)

I pulled the ABS Sensor yesterday and the main sensor was sheared off in the hub. Pretty obvious now, this is a bearing issue.

Now I just have to be sure and get the right part. I had to replace the catalytic converter a couple of months ago and the correct direct fit was for a 2001 Ranger.

Thanks for your help guys.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts