Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1993 Ranger won't start - Red light blinking...

My 1993 Ranger won't start. I believe it is the security system but I don't know how to disarm it reset it, or disconnect it.. There is a small red light on the dash left of the steering column. The light is off when I'm driving and on when the truck is parked. Over the last couple of years there have been several times when I get into the truck and that light is blinking (I believe this is telling me the security system is armed). When I turn the key the indicator lights on the dash come on but that's it, no reaction from the starter.

I don't need a security system and I would like to just disconnect the whole thing.

I have tried the remote but no luck. The only thing that seems to work is leaving the battery disconnected for 60 minutes or more.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I assume it's an aftermarket security system? Doesn't sound like factory.

Do you know what brand the system is? Professional installation?

Could be any number of things- far beyond what I know about, but maybe i can at least help ask the right leading questions... (I'm thinking either a connection that's gotten corroded, or a dying "brain box" for the aftermarket security...)

*A friend had a Ranger with an aftermarket alarm, that had a toggle switch under the dash near the hood release. Come to think of it, Mom's Explorer had an aftermarket alarm (Apache brand) with a switchbox there, too. Might try looking there, and pushing/flipping whatever switch you find?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If it's an aftermarket system, it could be anywhere, unfortunately.

(I'm assuming it's aftermarket because I don't know of a factory system for that year truck, but I may be mistaken.)

Most professionally-installed systems I've seen (which isn't many) put the components on the inner fender near the battery and/or in the driver's footwell somewhere. But there's no telling what somebody might have done.

I guess I'd start looking for non-factory looking wires, too...trace the starting circuit, since that what it's interrupting. Wish I could be more help.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts