Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1988 Bronco

In '89 you could only get a C6 behind a 351. How do I know? When I ordered my '89, the truck manager told me to get the 351 for that reason, as it was tried and proven and the AOD was not.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I got my doubts this truck actually has an AOD, as far as I know the AOD was never a factory option behind the 5.8 in trucks, only behind the 4.9 and 5.0. There are several possibilities here..
A) the AOD was swapped in
B) it's actually an E4OD with the kill button on the shift lever or dash
C) the truck actually has a 5.0 and not a 5.8. The early EFI intakes did not have the engine displacement on the upper and a lot of people can't otherwise tell the difference between these blocks.

I'm guessing it either has a 5.0 L motor, or a has had a tranny swap. As already mentioned, the 5.8 wasn't available with the AOD. Here's a page from the brochure.

89b_8.jpg

On another note, those ultra-low-mileage older units don't fascinate me much. past experience tells me there's a lot of deterioration going on as they sit- even if it's indoors. Give me something that's been driven daily anytime.

our white 88 had a AOD from the factory with a 5.8. i have decoded it enough times along with the button on the dash.

Uh-oh!
I smell a info beat down coming......

1. What is transmission code "T"?
2. Where would the overdrive button be located. (Answered)
3. What is the code for the C6.

Last edited:

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Just look at the pan, thats all you need to know
C6
253640799_tp.jpg

AOD
93860248_tp.jpg

E4OD
163.jpg

Never had a C6, have 147k on bronk aod. Shifts awsome. I beat the balls out of it.

Last edited:
Cool post Belle Mead! :)
That's the only way to really identify which auto it's got in it, IMO.

----------------------------
And...
Hey, I bought my '91 Bronco off Craig's List and it was listed by
a pretty dangged good mechanic but still it had mistakes on the
-year- and -engine size-! LOL :) He wrote it out quick and got
a little mixed up. It's a very early '91 built in July of '90.

See where he made that one mistake? LOL :) He caught it after
posting the ad and the engine size too, told me over the phone
when I called, first thing.

You are an adult, it's up to you to know what you are buying.
So no problem-o with mistakes/lies is the way I see sales ads. :)
----------------------------------

It'll be cool as anything to find out what that Bronco has really
got mileage wise and equipment too. :)

Alvin in AZ

Welll, I looked at it agaain tonight. On that little panel that lists what gear your in the there was no 0 or OD in there so I'm pretty sure it's a C6.

If you have a button on the dash you do not have an AOD.. that trans is all mechanical with no electric controls whatsoever. You could have an AODE which is essentially an early 4R70W but it's more likely to be an E4OD. To confuse things more the AODE and 4R70W have the same oilpan shape as the AOD.

The shift indicator for the AOD is PRN(D)D1, there is no direct position for 2nd though it can be selected and held with a shifter shuffle.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
If you have the E4OD you will have the button on dash to cancel OD, like on the newer trucks we have it at the end of the shifter. So no button, no E4OD. Did you look at the trans pan?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
By the dash you have AOD or C6. Did you look at the trans pan?

No, you made the post after I looked at it. If the OD button (or whatever it is) isn't on the dash that gear shifter dont look like it has a button, so it probaly is an AOD.

Ford Truck Articles