Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1985 Ford F-250 Wont Start

Hey Everyone,

My Grandfather truck has a bad fuel pump, and does anyone here know where the fuel pump is located on it? It has a carbed 460. I looked around on the timing cover, but I cant find it. Could this thing possibly have the fuel pump in the tank? I wouldnt think so, since it's carbed. But maybe someone changed it over.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Follow the fuel line from the carb.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
According to Autozone website it looks like it could have either. If you can't find a mechanical pump on the engine then it is an electrical one in the tank. I'm just going by their pictures on the website.

Follow the fuel line from the carb.

According to Autozone website it looks like it could have either. If you can't find a mechanical pump on the engine then it is an electrical one in the tank. I'm just going by their pictures on the website.

Well, I followed the fuel lines...and the fuel pump is in the tank. It's just wierd that the pump is in the tank on a carbed engine.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well, I followed the fuel lines...and the fuel pump is in the tank. It's just wierd that the pump is in the tank on a carbed engine.

Why...alot of folks prefer electric fuel pumps...it just so happens this one is in the tank. I keep one in each of my rigs just in case the mechanical fails.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Why...alot of folks prefer electric fuel pumps...it just so happens this one is in the tank. I keep one in each of my rigs just in case the mechanical fails.

Why not just carry a spare mechanical one? [confused]

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Why not just carry a spare mechanical one? [confused]

Because I've been burned by a trashed fuel eccentric before. And electric pumps are easier to throw in the glove box. Or I still have the one in the Bronco mounted to the inner fender with both ends capped off. All I need to do there is wrap the wire around the fuse. And both hoses will reach. So in under 5 minutes, I go from no fuel to truckin again.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
That's not a bad idea.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Ben it is eerie that you pack a electric fuel pump. I have been toting around a emergency fuel pump for years.
Great minds must think alike.
I also have spare relays,sensors, belts,coil and other things threw in my tool boxes. You just never know when you will need one.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Great minds do think alike Randy. Luckily, I don't need any spare relays or sensors, but I do pack alot of stuff. Like you, I have spare belts, a good used coil, fuses, spare hose, 14ga wire and lots of other things. At one time when I got in to a bad batch of water pumps, I carried a spare WP as well.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I have a spare distributor

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
When I got my truck,it had two fuel pumps,the original Mechanical one,and an electric one on the inner fender.The P.O. never bothered to take off the original,he just cut the lines and left it.Well,eventually the electric fuel pump went bad(idiot used one of the wires to my carb to power it),and that's the only thing that kept the truck from running.I don't know if that's why it was parked,but if so,it's a stupid reason.The guy I bought the truck from(P.O's son) was messing with the carb,and told me it would only stay running if he sprayed Ether in the carb.He said he didn't know what was wrong with it.

Dur Dur Dur.:hammer: :headbang:

It took Dad 2 minutes to figure out.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
My new truck has the same setup one thing to look for on em is the oil pressure sensor on the back of the block right next to the oil sending unit. If that sensor is bad it aint gonna pump fuel (crazy as it sounds). Read this right out of a 85 Ford shop manual. You also have to prime the fuel pump by takin the line off at the motor and crankin it over untill it starts to build fuel pressure then just hook the line back up and it should be good to go. Also the pump wont turn on until the key is in the crank position not just the on position after its started that little oil pressure sensor is what keeps the currant to the pump.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts