Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1973 Ford F-100 360 engine overheating

I am new to this forum and I need your help. I have owned this truck for about 5 years. I had a rebuilt engine put in about 4 years ago and I have had no real problems with it. About a month ago, it started getting hot and forcing coolant out where my hose was connected. I replaced the hose, still the same. I replaced the thermostat, still the same. I bought a new radiator cap, still the same. I just put in some flush that I got from Summit Racing and I let it run for about 15 minutes revving the engine a little and then I took it for a very short ride, still the same. The only place I see leaking is where it is blowing by my hose clamp. What is strange about it to me, is that it is building up a lot of high pressure. The truck has been sitting for about an hour and the radiator hose is rock hard. I have never had this problem before in any of my vehicles. Thanks!

Ok, I just went and checked my truck and the radiator is about 1/2 gallon low and no pressure. I'm thinking maybe the heater core is plugged?? I didn't notice any water leaking from around my water pump, but I'm going to get start it and get under my truck to see if I can see anything.

Well, I don't know much about water pumps, I probably haven't changed one in 20-25 years. I took a hose that is on top of my water pump and turned over my and let it run for about 20 seconds and nothing came out. My guess is I might have a dead water pump.

Fellro

Staff member
At that rate it seems that you are correct, the water pump isn't pushing it. The water pump on those are pretty easy to change, they are just 4 bolts holding them on once you remove all the other things that attach to it.

Fellro

Staff member
On that note, the heater is the first to lose water flow when the coolant level is low. If you continue to over heat with proper fill level, feel the radiator in the center. If it is cool, you may have plugged cores. When the motor is hot and the radiator cold, it is a pretty good indicator it isn't helping to cool.

Fellro

Staff member
That is a lot less likely an issue then if the radiator is that new. With the pressure build up and retention, you don't seem to have a leak at least.

No, definitely no leak. I've owned several vehicles new and old and I have never seen one build up that much pressure. The pump is on order, so as soon as I get it hopefully it will solve my problem. If not, and the radiator is still good, then I guess the last item is a blown head gasket.

Recent Forum Posts