Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

09/10 or wait for 2011 Explorer?

My father was thinking about purchasing a 2009 or 2010 Explorer for an larger vehicle. I suggested he might want to wait for the 2011 model.

Anyone know when it is supposed to hit the dealers? any new options?

Cheers!

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
the 2011 model is basically going to be a car that looks like an SUV. It will no longer be a frame on body, but a unibody shared with the Ford Flex.

If thats what he wants, go for it.

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
From the looks of it Josh, it will still be a fairly capable vehicle. I think the full reveal is on monday, but they've been teasing it on facebook, revealing different parts and leaking tidbits of info every day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14S3xuOlFSc

Wait until Monday at least, so you can get an idea of what the new one will be. Does he tow or go offroad? The rumor for the towing cap is around 5500lbs and it is going to have a system from the landrovers for traction control offroad, it looks pretty interesting.

From a comfort standpoint, this thing is going to be a brazilllion times better, and get much better fuel economy with the 3.5/3.7 and 4 banger ecoboost. Then there are all of the newer features on the inside, like sync, myford touch, probably a much much better interior from a materials and egronomics standpoint. Unless he is in a rush for a new truck, I'd give it a couple of days and see what the new one is going to bring.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Just a thought, but if he's going late model used, I'd look at Expeditions as well. Fuel mileage will be the same, an Expy can do much more (more towing capacity, more room, more comfort, etc). $$$'swould be very close.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Just a thought, but if he's going late model used, I'd look at Expeditions as well. Fuel mileage will be the same, an Expy can do much more (more towing capacity, more room, more comfort, etc). $$$'swould be very close.

smilieIagree

On the used front there's no reason to go explorer unless the expedition doesn't fit in the garage...

Ryan

We had a 2003 Expedition 4x4 with a 5.4 and that thing was a beast, my dad said he wished we could of held onto it as a 3rd vehicle but it was a leased vehicle, though I most likely wouldn't have my Bronco right now if that wasn't the case.

Reveal!

From the looks of it Josh, it will still be a fairly capable vehicle. I think the full reveal is on monday, but they've been teasing it on facebook, revealing different parts and leaking tidbits of info every day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14S3xuOlFSc

Wait until Monday at least, so you can get an idea of what the new one will be. Does he tow or go offroad? The rumor for the towing cap is around 5500lbs and it is going to have a system from the landrovers for traction control offroad, it looks pretty interesting.

From a comfort standpoint, this thing is going to be a brazilllion times better, and get much better fuel economy with the 3.5/3.7 and 4 banger ecoboost. Then there are all of the newer features on the inside, like sync, myford touch, probably a much much better interior from a materials and egronomics standpoint. Unless he is in a rush for a new truck, I'd give it a couple of days and see what the new one is going to bring.

thanks for all the replies!

I just came across this video for the 2011 reveal in NY!

It is VERY different. But there is lots of good stuff. better fuel economy,
cool safety features, good towing capacity, and the off-road setting definitely sound interesting.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Now I'd like to see the price difference between the new and the previous model. Betcha it's gonna be a fair-sized bump. With rebates and incentives, betcha it'll be a huge bump.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts