Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

05 F250 won't start! HELP!

Hey all

Today we woke up and the truck won't start. It cranks just fine, and acts like it wants to start, rumbles like it is going to start, but doesn't. If I keep the key turned to 'start' I see smoke coming from the tailpipe for maybe 3-5 seconds, then none.

How frustrating...

I've read up some and I suspect the FICM. I'm going to go test it now. In the meantime, has anyone dealt with http://circuitboardmedics.com/2003-2009-ford-ficm-buy-exchange-module/ to get a refurbished one? I guess you have to furnish your VIN and they flash it before sending it to you. Just trying to explore my options before towing it to the dealer and spending who-knows-how much...

Thanks in advance!

I never saw any sort of indicator light on previously.

...my wife reported the red wrench was on during a drive to San Antonio last weekend, but then it went away. I haven't seen it since.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hey all

Today we woke up and the truck won't start. It cranks just fine, and acts like it wants to start, rumbles like it is going to start, but doesn't. If I keep the key turned to 'start' I see smoke coming from the tailpipe for maybe 3-5 seconds, then none.

How frustrating...
Because its an 05, I'd look at ICP first. They're prone to the STC fitting suddenly blowing o-rings. Does your oil pressure come up while cranking?

Because its an 05, I'd look at ICP first. They're prone to the STC fitting suddenly blowing o-rings. Does your oil pressure come up while cranking?

First, thanks for the input!

But, before I read this I went and tested the FICM. It read 48v when in the 'on' position, but dropped to just over 20v during cranking...

Does this change your opinion at all?

blacksnapon

Staff member
First, thanks for the input!

But, before I read this I went and tested the FICM. It read 48v when in the 'on' position, but dropped to just over 20v during cranking...

Does this change your opinion at all?
Too much has been read about ficm voltages. Think about it, supplying 48 volts from a system that only has 12 to start with. Do you have battery/alternator problems? Had any recently? The glow plugs are on at first startup that reduces voltages farther. If you've had recent battery/charging issues, maybe. 05s are well known to have ICP issues that come on very suddenly. At this point, I believe I'd still get a scanner and at least look at ICP while starting. Much, much cheaper than a 300 to 500 dollar ficm that you may or may not need.

Last edited:
Alright, I was hoping you would go the other route and say "definitely FICM", because in a frenzied rush I ordered one (Lots of reasons why I needed to get this done...). Anyway, it came overnight and I got busy installing it. No problems - it went smoothly, started right up, and sounded better than before. Problem solved!

...Then I got confident and decided to install the coolant filter that was sitting in my garage...
Long story short, in my haste I snipped a couple wires that were hiding right below the upper heater hose, next to the oil fill tube. I didn't really notice, but when I was done with the filter kit install, it cranked but would not start. I realized my embarrassing and ridiculous mistake, and went to work trying to temporarily reconnect said wires. What a hassle! There is no play in this wiring harness. Anyway, still didn't start. So today I am going to try soldering it, maybe one of the connections wasn't quite there?

Do I have to 'reset' something by disconnecting and reconnecting the batteries? Will I have to tow it to the dealership and further embarrass myself and have them fix it?
What a PITA!!

OK, the pics aren't too clear, but here's what I found out:

The separate wires in question are black/yellow and red/yellow.

They seem to all go in a loom down the front of the engine and disappear underneath...

Up top, they go into a loom that connects to the alternator?

blacksnapon

Staff member
in the first picture, the convolute with the duct tape around it looks like the stuff that was added in a previous recall with the icp pigtail. If so, you should be able to open that up to give you more room to repair the wires.

Well, that was my attempt at a temp fix. Since there was no slack in the wiring, I tried to add some. I threw it all in there and taped it up... [further embarrassed]

OK, after way too much stress and time spent on this, its running again. I soldered all the connections after removing those crap crimp connections, reconnected the batteries, and it fired right up! Apparently the crimping job wasn't done well enough.

What have I learned from this? 1. Take your time and don't rush. 2. Make sure you know what you are cutting, and what should NOT be in the way when you are cutting something. 3. Leave well enough alone!

Thanks for your help!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts