Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New harmonic balancer

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
My Motorcraft harmonic balancer came in the mail so I'll hopefully be installing that today. Figured I'd make a thread before I start so you guys can comment...

Anyone who's done it before, got any tips on replacement? Anything I need to know before I start tearing down?

I'll be sure to take plenty of pics, as always ;)

Do you have plenty of band-aids?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Change the seal while your at it.

Michigan
take your radiator out and use an air gun haha. Thats the easy way... Minus the radiator part! lol. X2 on the new seal! And make sure u remember which way it goes in lol

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Junior...I have done that snafu before.......nothing like a big assbolt flyin around the tech school shop at Mach 3......x2 on everything said here.

JR

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
its really not that hard. basically, take the radiator out so you can have more room. then take your belt off. ake sure you have a puller for the crank pulley.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I like to just pull the whole motor, so you don't have to mess with the radiator. Then when its on the stand its right there to get to!:rolling laugh:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I have returned!

I forgot to take pics of the install :headbang: Andy was over here helping me do it (and he brought his puller! :)) and he was in a hurry to get home so I didn't have time to screw around with the camera.

BUT GUESS WHAT!!! We took the old balancer off, and put the two balancers face to face, then lined up the crankshaft keyways on the two balancers and checked the timing marks to see if they matched.... NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! HAHAHAHA The old one's balancing ring had rotated by like 10-20 degrees!!! I'm not kidding you, it was WAY off. Andy's my witness.

Anyways, I'm waiting for my brother to move his truck so I can drive over to the shop and put my engine back in time. Clearly it's not running where it's supposed to be :p I'll give you updates as they come ;)

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Damn thats wierd. Mine is eyeballed. No timing marks on my balancer. All rusted off. Send me the timing ring part, maybe I can transfter marks to my one, yea im cheap. Lol

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Chris you're welcome to have my old balancer if you wanna pay shipping ;)

Didn't get to drive it cuz my stupid bro didn't move his truck and now dinner is ready. Idle seems to be a lot smoother though!! :)

andym

Real men are fanatics
Andy's my witness.

I don't know what you're talking about. smiliestirthepot

I do know that Chris has learned that using a hammer on the end of a ratchet doesn't work quite as well as using an actual impact wrench.

:D

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I don't know what you're talking about. smiliestirthepot

I do know that Chris has learned that using a hammer on the end of a ratchet doesn't work quite as well as using an actual impact wrench.

:D
Lol Get them while they last. Chris Hammer..cough..cough...Impact Ratchet. Haha thats funny, yea I remember what it was like when I didnt have an impact.

........I forgot to take pics of the install :headbang: Andy was over here helping me do it (and he brought his puller! :)) and he was in a hurry to get home so I didn't have time to screw around with the camera............

Ahhh man! I might have to replace one someday and now I won't have pictures to follow. I am severely disappointed in you. :(

Go take it off and do it again mister! smilietease

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Haha I already had an impact gun (my dad left plenty of air tools for us :)), but I was being lazy and didn't wanna run extension cords and wheel out the air compressor. It ended up working great though :)

Here's a couple pics of my old balancer.

DSC01333.jpg

DSC01334.jpg

New balancer installed. I meant to get a pic of it before I put it in but I freakin forgot... So disappointed :(
DSC01336.jpg

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well... I recommend all you guys with older trucks (yes ninth gen is considered an older truck in my opinion), have a look at both the front and back of your balancer and see if the rubber is deteriorating like mine... If so, the balance ring could very well have rotated like mine.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts