Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1989 F-250 Turn signal switch replacement

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Having a problem with the turn signals. All four signals do not work. Flashers work. Replaced turn signal flasher unit and signals still do not work. Replaced 15 amp fuse, with no change. I am assuming problem is in the turn signal switch itself?

I bought a turn signal switch and discovered that the steering column with tilt(which I have) does not allow enough room to run the switch wiring(with connector) down through the column. The connector at the end of the switch needs to be removed. How does one remove the connector? Does this involve getting a tool to remove the pins. Can someone provide a description or picture of said pin removal tool and tell me how that works?

Thank You.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Look at the plug, you will see s clip on the inside where it plugs in. Take a tiny screw driver and push it back, giving a light tug on the wire, and it will come out. Be sure to mark where the wires belong on the plug.

Did you check and see if you have power to the switch? sometimes tilt columns rub the wires in two

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thank You, Charlie! I did not check for power to the switch. I cut the wires off of the old connector, so I could play with the old one, and discovered the s pin trick right before you replied.

The new switch is in, but I still need to reconnect the connector, and put everything back together. Thanks again.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
No problem, sorry I was late!!!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Oh, and you need to tighten the 4 screws that hold your tilt together while you have it down that far

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Finished this job this morning. Replacing the turn signal switch solved the "no signals" problem.

Disconnecting and reconnecting the plug at the end of the signal switch was a real nightmare(no room to pull stuff out to get at it.) Thanks to Charlie (dustybumpers) for help and advice!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
No problem!

Wish I coulda been there to help.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Had to adjust the shift indication yesterday afternoon. "park" was showing as "reverse", and "drive" was showing as "neutral". It was one of those things that I did not have to remove to replace the switch, but didn't know better.

I was amazed at how a tiny piece of wound copper wire could be responsible for such an important function.:scratch:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Hahahaha, and break that little sucker, and you'd be amazed how much of the dash has to come apart to replace it, lol

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Yeah.The first time as an o man, I can't believe I just did that.....

Second time was definately the trucks fault.......

primetime

sawmill slave
Nah, it comes off a peg on the column, and the goes into the P-R-N-D selector in the cluster. It`s a $150 part from Dennis Carpenter for a Gen 9. It includes the indicator as it`s all one piece.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I have a spare here if you need it

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts