Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Code 63 - TP sensor below minimum voltage

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
'89 F-250 460 engine. I get the check engine light on a regular basis, which comes and goes. Using the check engine light as the indicator for getting the code( 6 flashes, then 3 flashes), this is the only code that comes up.

Would there be anything else causing this code other than the TP sensor. I did check the voltage of the wiring going to the TP with KOEO mode, I get about 4.8 volts, but it is not constant. The voltage seems to jump around a lot.

Any other suggestions. I bought a motorcraft TP sensor from rock auto, but I want to make sure I am not missing anything.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thanks Junior. I was only checking the voltage of the plug after it was disconnected from the TP sensor with KOEO. I was getting 5 volts from the top to bottom connector. Excellent article.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
When you test the TPS you can OHM them out when unhooked to check for bad spots in the TPS itself. A analog meter works better than a digital for this. The number or needle sweep should be smooth with no jumps when opening or closing the throttle plate.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Using Junior's reference article(Thanks again), the voltage at the TP sensor was 0.87 volts. I was only able to adjust the voltage up to 0.95 volts, which is better but probably still on the low side. I'll drive it later to see if the adjustment helped.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
A little test drive done and no check engine light. I'll replace the TP sensor when the new one comes in and recheck the voltage. Problem solved for now.

Thanks Junior and Smokey.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts