Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Who still "works" their 73-79's??

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I will. Its not a big new camper, I don't have the specs on it yet, we just happened upon it, actually. I will have specs for you guys soon.

The F250 is being upgraded. While, it technically won't handle it according to the DOT, its being restored and upgraded to be able to reliable pull DD duties for my wife.

When your wife tells you her dream truck is a blue long bed 77 F250, you just have to make stuff happen. :D

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yes you do make things happen...hehehehe

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
30 ft 7000 lbs. The biggest limitation to these old trucks were the brakes...with modern controllers its not an issue

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
30 ft 7000 lbs. The biggest limitation to these old trucks were the brakes...with modern controllers its not an issue

Big trailer!

Modern controllers don't do much for the factory brakes...other factors on the towing were overall driveabilty and durabilty....overheating, tire/axle weights etc.

Same thoughts prevail today....18k toyhauler behind a 250....will it do it?...yes...jeez, I probably sound like a stuck record....hehehe.
160hp with a 10k trailer?...(example) .I'd be beyond pissed if I was stuck behind it.
I remember when I was a kid going camping....car/truck doing 40-45 mph on a long grade

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
My truck does just fine...will be better when i get 3.73s :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I just reread my post...wasn't taking a shot at your truck/trailer at all....in fact I think that weight was in the factory limits.

I was more referring to the guys that just load anything on these trucks

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
I didnt take offense :)

Just saying though...you give your average idiot the power to tow a 18k trailer and thats why there are so many accidents involving trailers.

Atleast around here the dot leaves ya alone unless they see a 83 Ranger with a 40ft 5thwheel behind it.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Average idiot....how fitting!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Best one I saw was a suburban pulling a 14 X 70 mobile home down the Interstate. For some reason the State Patrol had him pulled over...... :headbang: :headbang:

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Alot has to do with driver skill. You take a experianced hand and have him tow a 10000 lb trailer with a F150 and he would more then likely be fine. Take a 16 yr old kid and give him the same rig he pry would wreck it on the first hill.

I towed my camper with no sway control or weight distribution thru 40 mph crosswind. Scary? Yes. Safe? Not really. But did i get home in one piece? Yes.

See what i mean :)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Saw this on another forum and had to post...wow:

I spotted this gem at a building supply yard I was hauling sand to. Chewed the fat with the guy. Original owner f350 bought new in Phoenix. 400/c6/205. Garage kept its whole life. 2" springs 35s on 17s

null-6.jpg

null-4.jpg

Cool pic Ken and that is what we did with these trucks back in the day and some of us still do. The last load I had like that was a few years ago when I hauled for my brother-in-law from Costco, two full pallets of Pergo flooring. The Costco fork-lift driver said "Are you sure you want to put on two pallets?" I replied "yeah" and then he was impressed when the back end of my truck only went down about an inch after loading both. smilieFordlogo

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Dents are very stout in the suspension dept. Ive had a few hellacious loads on mine wjth minimal squat.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
But boy... do we pay for it when we are empty.smilieFordlogo

Thats for sure. But its a truck not the watered down sedans with a bed we get nowadays :)

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Saw this on another forum and had to post...wow:

Beautiful truck, Ken. I wish I would have listened to the dealer when I purchased my 1979 F-150. He tried to get me into a F-350. I was just newly married, and needed to pay for groceries, too, though. :(

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Cool pic Ken and that is what we did with these trucks back in the day and some of us still do. The last load I had like that was a few years ago when I hauled for my brother-in-law from Costco, two full pallets of Pergo flooring. The Costco fork-lift driver said "Are you sure you want to put on two pallets?" I replied "yeah" and then he was impressed when the back end of my truck only went down about an inch after loading both. smilieFordlogo

One reason this thread really appeals to me and gets me excited!

Dents are very stout in the suspension dept. Ive had a few hellacious loads on mine wjth minimal squat.

I used my bump for some hauling a few years ago and you could hardly tell it moved at all with a huge load.

But boy... do we pay for it when we are empty.smilieFordlogo

This is true....but not too bad.

Thats for sure. But its a truck not the watered down sedans with a bed we get nowadays :)

This is even more true!!!!! Amen! smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Beautiful truck, Ken. I wish I would have listened to the dealer when I purchased my 1979 F-150. He tried to get me into a F-350. I was just newly married, and needed to pay for groceries, too, though. :(

So you must have done some heavy hauling in your days or you just wish you had the option?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I moved six times in three years.(layoffs or different houses in the same town) The extra capacity would have been nice. :headbang:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts