Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Who still "works" their 73-79's??

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Just out of curiosity W'R....what do you get for gas mileage pulling your trailer and empty?

Not enough :)

Ive never actually checked it, and the fact the carb is messed up and running rich...but I pry get about 12 or so running around and pry 8 or 9 pulling the camper, im hoping for a improvment once i get the carb fixed.

What really suprised me was how well it handles it with only 3.07 gears....On some steep hills i have to pull it into 2nd manually but i can still keep 45 or so pretty easy, and I still have plenty from a dead stop pulling out into traffic with it. The 400 must really be a torquey engine....Alot of people i know always say its a boat anchor and to swap in a 460...but honestly i dont think a (stock Carbed) 460 would do much better and prolly suck more gas. Im one of the few fans of the M Block engines, my Dually was always powerful but i figured it was the mods and 4.30 gears, but i must say this stock 400 impressed me.

I would rather pull it with my 78 1 ton, but my ol lady hates that truck :)

Last edited:
Ouote of Workin'Rig
Ive never actually checked it, and the fact the carb is messed up and running rich...but I pry get about 12 or so running around and pry 8 or 9 pulling the camper, im hoping for a improvment once i get the carb fixed.

If you are getting about that you are already a little ahead of what I have gotten out of any of my 460s, the best average was about 7 to 10.

What really suprised me was how well it handles it with only 3.07 gears....On some steep hills i have to pull it into 2nd manually but i can still keep 45 or so pretty easy, and I still have plenty from a dead stop pulling out into traffic with it. The 400 must really be a torquey engine....Alot of people i know always say its a boat anchor and to swap in a 460...but honestly i dont think a (stock Carbed) 460 would do much better and prolly suck more gas. Im one of the few fans of the M Block engines, my Dually was always powerful but i figured it was the mods and 4.30 gears, but i must say this stock 400 impressed me.

Sounds like the 400 is doing a good job for you. When you get the carb fix it should be even better.

I would rather pull it with my 78 1 ton, but my ol lady hates that truck :)

That is funny my wife hates my truck. She does not like driving it.. she feels it is going to roll-over going around corners, the dam trailer/tow mirrors are so big she is blinded by them, she has too literally stand on the brakes to stop. Riding in it... It rides like a tank and the adjuster on the passenger seat-belt shoulder harness is a torture device that keeps getting tighter and tighter on her and not releasing after every bump and that the truck uses it to get back at her for hating it so much.smilieFordlogo

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Yeah, my old 1ton rides like a battle tank, plus it smells like hot oil and is loud as hell..so i understand where shes coming from...but im sure it wouldnt even noitce it was back there...plus towing that much with a auto makes me nervous.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
hahaha,

I'm in the same situation as you two,:)
wife hates the truck, only been in it twice. Loud, harsh ride, she says it smells lol, low geared like a dump truck, brakes are fine but no stopping like her Mazda3, and she really detests the color, boo!!! what's wrong with Orange? or Yellow? Workin' Rig, I have the T-18 also with 4.10's. 1st gear will put you through the front windshield when you let off the gas... hell ya, love my truck!

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
FTF19.jpg

Awesome picture! Looks like it's out of an old 70's Ford brochure. smilieFordlogo

Awesome picture! Looks like it's out of an old 70's Ford brochure. smilieFordlogo

Thanks Mike.. that picture was taken in 1992 at a KOA campground in Red Bluff California on our way to the Mt. Shasta area, then through Lassen National Park and to Reno for the Air Races. Great trip and memories.:)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I did buy my 79 with the full intention of it hauling the quad :wasntme:

Unlikely now :D

primetime

sawmill slave
The little woman hates mine to. "It`s to loud, it`s to high." But then she asks when I`m going to finish the Cougar. I haven`t had the heart to tell her that a big block 4-speed musclecar isn`t going to ride like her Explorer.

I was workin' on gettin home for dinner on time....

1stjump.jpg

(i just wanted to post up!)

Last edited:

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Same boat here..lol..."Its to High i cant get in it" so i get the stepladder for her.

"It rides to hard on bumpy roads" "It turns like a brick doesnt it" " you have to stand on the brakes dont you".....Yes Dear...Thats why you dont drive it!..LOL

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Same boat here..lol..."Its to High i cant get in it" so i get the stepladder for her.

"It rides to hard on bumpy roads" "It turns like a brick doesnt it" " you have to stand on the brakes dont you".....Yes Dear...Thats why you dont drive it!..LOL

You guys are funny!

THIS IS WHY I CHOSE MY RIG CAREFULLY WHEN I PURCHASED IT (or maybe more accurately, when my life let me purchase it)!

-Suspension was built for comfort when my rig was restored, so it's just as comfortable as the wifey's daily driver.
-Has AC
-Automatic
-Step rails
-Roll cage and lift (believe it or not) makes her feel more comfortable taking the little guy with us. She always said if a car hits us head on, we'll be going over them, not under (aside from another truck or semi or whatever) and if it rolled, we'd all be safe outside of some glass cuts maybe.
-Super insulated, so can't hear the nice roar out the tail pipes

:wasntme:

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
LOL Ken, Dont get me wrong..she does like it...just not the characteristics of it.I did explain to her the downsides of a lifted vehicle before i bought it.now i dont want to sound harsh or selfish..but i bought it for me,She got her bike that she wanted..i got my truck.we have no children so im comfortable with the basic safety features it has.and i love every characteristic of it..lol thats what makes it what it is. For the most part it does drive,ride and handle pretty well being what it is..however bumpy roads you do bounce a bit..but hey its a F250 lifted truck.it wasnt built for comfort and i know that. smilieFordlogo

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
LOL Ken, Dont get me wrong..she does like it...just not the characteristics of it.I did explain to her the downsides of a lifted vehicle before i bought it.now i dont want to sound harsh or selfish..but i bought it for me,She got her bike that she wanted..i got my truck.we have no children so im comfortable with the basic safety features it has.and i love every characteristic of it..lol thats what makes it what it is. For the most part it does drive,ride and handle pretty well being what it is..however bumpy roads you do bounce a bit..but hey its a F250 lifted truck.it wasnt built for comfort and i know that. smilieFordlogo

I hear ya! I'm all for his and her things, especially when it comes to vehicles! This is one reason why I have the dent; I just happened to make sure it had all the features she liked, which is what I liked also, so we could do family stuff without hearing any nagging.....but it'll stop being a possible family rig once baby #2 comes along, which we're trying for now, which was I was in the market for an xtra cab dent, but because of it's shear size, decided to go the Bronco route and found something I love as much as my dent.....ALMOST....not quite yet. The dent doesn't get driven in the winter and the Bronc will....again, why I didn't buy a Bronco similar in quality to the Dent! smilieFordlogo

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
She doesnt mind the 77, its a little more refined and comfortable (spically if i ever get the A/C workin), shell even drive it if she has to..

She has her escape to drive around in :)

I love my old Dually though, ive had it since 07 and its the only truck ive ever had thats Done everything ive EVER wanted it to (Including yanking a F550 Edision truck out of axle deep mud, getting me home in a hellacious snow storm, and driving over 3 downed trees during a storm one night), its never left me stranded, and ive never gotton it stuck.

Right now its sidelined due to a broken U bolt on the rear end and the exhaust litrally dragging the ground...but as soon as i get some time she'll be back on the road again...

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
She doesnt mind the 77, its a little more refined and comfortable (spically if i ever get the A/C workin), shell even drive it if she has to..

She has her escape to drive around in :)

I love my old Dually though, ive had it since 07 and its the only truck ive ever had thats Done everything ive EVER wanted it to (Including yanking a F550 Edision truck out of axle deep mud, getting me home in a hellacious snow storm, and driving over 3 downed trees during a storm one night), its never left me stranded, and ive never gotton it stuck.

Right now its sidelined due to a broken U bolt on the rear end and the exhaust litrally dragging the ground...but as soon as i get some time she'll be back on the road again...

Do you have any pics of the dually? :)

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Heres what i have...i never took to many pics of her....

184701_10150182631830968_7089189_n.jpg

Heres one before i cut the sides off the grain box to make a flatbed....it had a Rusted out F150 box with Flareside fenders bondoed onto it and barn steel for a floor when i got it....It was a Cab/Chassis model that was a dump truck in its former life. The front bumper was also off in this pic.

l.jpg

Ill get some more pics next time i get to my parents house....its sitting there right now seeing as how thats where all my tools are.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Heres what i have...i never took to many pics of her....

184701_10150182631830968_7089189_n.jpg

Heres one before i cut the sides off the grain box to make a flatbed....it had a Rusted out F150 box with Flareside fenders bondoed onto it and barn steel for a floor when i got it....It was a Cab/Chassis model that was a dump truck in its former life. The front bumper was also off in this pic.

l.jpg

Ill get some more pics next time i get to my parents house....its sitting there right now seeing as how thats where all my tools are.

Oh yeah, you did post that first one I think earlier....man that thing looks awesome!!!

Thanks for taking the time! Love it. smilieFordlogo

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Oh yeah, you did post that first one I think earlier....man that thing looks awesome!!!

Thanks for taking the time! Love it. smilieFordlogo

It runs like a raped ape also, its got a 400 with an RV Cam, Edelbrock intake, 650 Edelbrock carb, hooker headers, etc etc, I was told it had diffrent pistons and head work but i cant confirm that for sure. But with the 4.30's and the 4sp itll pull a church off its foundation on a fast idle :)

It sucks on the freeway though....70MPH and thats about strung flat out.

My buddies have dubbed it "Redneck Battle Wagon"

I never really took many pics of the 2 together.

Pierre`s Point Camp ground ,2 miles west of Salmon Arm, BC

CampedatPierrespoint.jpg

Lots of positive comments of my rig

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts