Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What up

Trista, I'm an OLD Psych major myself...... that's the fascination of this stuff.... what you're learning is probably a long way from what was 'true' back in the 70's. In fact, I haven't believed the results of any polls since I took quantitative psych.

From what I gather of Psychology, it will never be fully understood until we can figure out how the brain works. Without knowing how we think, we can't effectively study how individuals behave.

That's why I'm an Accounting major :rofl:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
From what I gather of Psychology, it will never be fully understood until we can figure out how the brain works. Without knowing how we think, we can't effectively study how individuals behave.

Hmmm....I don't know nothin' about psychology, but I'm a civil engineering major- just took a final in soil mechanics this afternoon.

How and why dirt does what it does is a lot more complicated than you might think...even if you could predict with perfect accuracy the behavior of a small sample in a laboratory setting, you can't know the exact properties of every bit of soil where you're working.

Not fully understanding how it will all behave doesn't stop people from building roads, buildings, dams, etc...we just take our best guess and then double or halve the result to make it more likely the whole mess won't fall down. It may not be as efficient or precise, but based on the infrastructure I see around me, it's pretty effective...smiliegitrdone

How and why dirt does what it does is a lot more complicated than you might think...even if you could predict with perfect accuracy the behavior of a small sample in a laboratory setting, you can't know the exact properties of every bit of soil where you're working.

Not fully understanding how it will all behave doesn't stop people from building roads, buildings, dams, etc...we just take our best guess and then double or halve the result to make it more likely the whole mess won't fall down. It may not be as efficient or precise, but based on the infrastructure I see around me, it's pretty effective...smiliegitrdone

Great point, except for the fact you indirectly compared dirt with the human brain 'smiliedoh'

We can tell what the brain is made up of, as can we with dirt; but can you tell me why the only creatures on this planet that laugh are human beings? Psychology tries to tell us why, but really can't.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I don't see a problem with the analogy... I might have a bigger issue with it if I was a silt particle, though. smilietease

I'm not claiming to know any of the answers, all I'm saying is that not knowing why doesn't mean you throw up your hands and walk away from the question of "what happens."

I just wanna say that health insurance companies should burn to the ground and just let people see doctors without ANY issue. I HATE YOU HEALTH INSURANCE COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Insurance Companychim chim pee pee

I'm not claiming to know any of the answers, all I'm saying is that not knowing why doesn't mean you throw up your hands and walk away from the question of "what happens."

Exactly :)

That's why I believe we need to gather more information relating to the brain and its functions before psychologists make such outlandish assertions about behavior...especially children behavior. The field of Psychology has this bad habit of disregarding common sense that is so obvious...

For example, if you go to a Psychologist dealing with your child not behaving in the classroom, more times than not the Dr. will prescribe medication and the "ADHD" flag will be raised. They have a bad habit of keeping other seemingly common sense variables out of the equation like "what does the child have for breakfast in the morning." If the child eats nothing but sugary cereal/pop-tarts for breakfast, maybe that would explain his restlessness in class seeing as though the sugar influences children's brain!!!

Exactly :)

That's why I believe we need to gather more information relating to the brain and its functions before psychologists make such outlandish assertions about behavior...especially children behavior. The field of Psychology has this bad habit of disregarding common sense that is so obvious...

For example, if you go to a Psychologist dealing with your child not behaving in the classroom, more times than not the Dr. will prescribe medication and the "ADHD" flag will be raised. They have a bad habit of keeping other seemingly common sense variables out of the equation like "what does the child have for breakfast in the morning." If the child eats nothing but sugary cereal/pop-tarts for breakfast, maybe that would explain his restlessness in class seeing as though the sugar influences children's brain!!!

PSYCHIATRISTS prescribe medication to control the problem. PSYCHOLOGISTS figure out the cause of the problem. There's a huge difference. I do agree that medication is prescribed too much instead of actually figuring out what is causing the problems. However, I do believe that there are instances where medication must be used in order to have the patient of sane mind THEN you can figure out what is going on with the person. This the most common pathway for treating depression. Antidepressants are prescribed then you figure out what is causing the problem. It's a faster process.

Just trying to defend my career here.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
PSYCHIATRISTS prescribe medication to control the problem. PSYCHOLOGISTS figure out the cause of the problem. There's a huge difference. I do agree that medication is prescribed too much instead of actually figuring out what is causing the problems. However, I do believe that there are instances where medication must be used in order to have the patient of sane mind THEN you can figure out what is going on with the person. This the most common pathway for treating depression. Antidepressants are prescribed then you figure out what is causing the problem. It's a faster process.

Just trying to defend my career here.
They put me on 40mg of Zoloft. Solving the problem is easy, but murdering my father is illegal!! smilietease Hey Aaron, you said something about connections once. :D

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
BTW- That 40mg of Zoloft got my USCG License pulled for a year too!! They have to be sure I'm not suicidal before they'll let me Captain the ParaSail again. Putz's!! I wasn't suicidal to begin with!! Homicidal, maybe!!!!

Zoloft is better suited for younger people (typically for people under 18) bc of the rate of absorption and the way it's metabolized. It's used in adults, too... just is more common for people under 18.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
this went from fun, to hilarious, to awkward, then moved to intellectual.

I feel like this thread is having too many moodswings.

Here's a joke.

What did Della wear?

A New Jersey.

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Fun, hilarious, and awkward are all perfectly acceptable thread tones on FTF, but apparently if we get too close to intellectual, the admins will be forced to step in and redirect...

what does Delaware have to do with New Jersey? I'm not good at that kind of stuff...

and yeah, I noticed the mood swings too. I thought it was funny.

I think we should all name one random, funny, PG thing about us that we wouldn't expect others to know about us.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts