Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What have you done to your 351M/400

My Bronco is a ’79, when I bought it the body was rust free and all original interior, with high back buckets in descent shape. It has a 400 in it that was knocking pretty hard. all for 750 bucks

So I got on craigs list and found a 400 that was rebuilt for a 78 bronco that the kid swapped out for a 460. The 400 had about 1200 miles on it, bored 60 over (which I understand might be a little to much), straight up timing set, a cam an edelbrock intake, edelbrock valve covers, and a 625 Carter AFB carbrator, all for 500 bucks. Slapped it in did a little tuning and WOW! Yea I’m sold on these engines. Pulls my Bronco pretty good.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So I got on craigs list and found a 400 that was rebuilt for a 78 bronco that the kid swapped out for a 460. The 400 had about 1200 miles on it, bored 60 over (which I understand might be a little to much), straight up timing set, a cam an edelbrock intake, edelbrock valve covers, and a 625 Carter AFB carbrator, all for 500 bucks. Slapped it in did a little tuning and WOW! Yea I’m sold on these engines. Pulls my Bronco pretty good.

I've done that many a time. Those 460 guys are always easy targets for cheap or free 400's. In the last 6 months, I picked up 2 freebies, one is a runner and the other could have been but I've been salvaging parts off her when needed and been parting it out. I also picked up another for 200ish (give or take $50)...that's in my Bronco now. It replaced a 351M that was only running on 5 cylinders (no compression in 2 cylinders and I was missing a piston skirt in another). The last one, I've probably got about $750 in to right now, but it hauls pretty good. Similar builds have put out 300-320hp and 400ish ft/lbs.

I've done that many a time. Those 460 guys are always easy targets for cheap or free 400's. In the last 6 months, I picked up 2 freebies, one is a runner and the other could have been but I've been salvaging parts off her when needed and been parting it out. I also picked up another for 200ish (give or take $50)...that's in my Bronco now. It replaced a 351M that was only running on 5 cylinders (no compression in 2 cylinders and I was missing a piston skirt in another). The last one, I've probably got about $750 in to right now, but it hauls pretty good. Similar builds have put out 300-320hp and 400ish ft/lbs.

Yea this guy was in the military and had the engine built by a government approved mechanic which gave all military guys a discount. The only problem I have had with this is a blown head gasket. The 60 over bore is kinda of a concern because I have head the max on a 400 is 40 over. But I have had no problems and it runs like a R@#$ ape. What do you think 60 over to much?

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
I've heard the same thing, that .030 or 40 is about all you want to go on the 335s because of the smallish bore spacing on them. They were built to be a lightweight and compact engine compared to the FEs of the day IIRC, which gave them some rather thing cylinder walls. Go ahead and replace it with a 460, you'll thank me later :D lol

O no…here we go with the 460 thing again. My 400 pulls the Bronco good. A 460 is good for a ¾ ton truck, but for me too much for a bronco around town and an occasionally a mountain in Colorado it's is the best. I know we all have opinions…you barked so I spoke!

If I were even considering a swap I would diffidently go with the 429 or a 6BT.

Besides for pulling that is what I got the Powerstroke for beats the 460 all together!

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yea this guy was in the military and had the engine built by a government approved mechanic which gave all military guys a discount. The only problem I have had with this is a blown head gasket. The 60 over bore is kinda of a concern because I have head the max on a 400 is 40 over. But I have had no problems and it runs like a R@#$ ape. What do you think 60 over to much?

Blown head gasket...these things don't blow HG's...they're pigs and dawgs remember...hahahaha. As for the bore job, yeah, I usually hear of them topping out at 40, but I have seen several that are trouble free with a 60 bore.

Go ahead and replace it with a 460, you'll thank me later :D lol

And which 460 are you referring to Paul? Perharps one those post 72 460's rated at 208hp (2hp less than a 400)?

A 460 is good for a ¾ ton truck, but for me too much for a bronco around town and an occasionally a mountain in Colorado it's is the best.

Blasphemy...there's no such thing as too much.

If I were even considering a swap I would diffidently go with the 429

A 429 is just a destroked 460. So why give up the cubes?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Why does it have to be built? Why not use two stockers with similar numbers? BTW...you're still not gonna convince me that swapping to a 460 is that much more advantageous, until you start talking stroker and stroker money...which I consider to be around $2500 (in parts) thresh hold. Oh...and don't we have a 460 section for you...no go play with yourself.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
And I've told you a million times to go find a chicken and fornicate with it.

I love you Pauly boo boo.

Fl.
I'd rather come in here and annoy you guys, much more fun.

I've said it a million times that I don't think the 335 is that bad, I just like givin you guys a hard time :D

Fact is there are really very few new post's in the 460 forum. P4 is lonely and needs some conversation, so he comes to the 400 forum and tries to fit in. But he can't, every time he opens his mouth 460 comes out. It's ok, the 400 crowd will not shun you. We know you want to come over to the dark side. So what's it going to be. P460 or P400

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^He's 460 to the max. And I'm the same way once it comes to strokers. But, I like originality and personally, up until you start talking strokers, I feel a 400 is comparable.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I changed it to a newer flowmaster. I think it is more efficient now! :D

If you put the blowmaster sticker on your window, that should be good for another 50hp too.

Fl.
I posted her just to make you all go to the 400 section and see what was new. i wish something was new.

I recently put flowtech long tube headers, cherry bomb 8 in glass pks with 2 1/4 in pipes bent out in front of the rear tires. sounds good.

Ford Truck Articles