Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What have you done to your 351M/400

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Nice parts. Are you ever going to do anything with them?

I was waiting for that!

It would be awesome to get 12-14 but I'm not gonna hold my breath. I guess it's a matter of cost

You can laugh, but I'm hoping for upwards of 20 (imp) out of my combination (providing i can keep my foot out of it)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It would be awesome to get 12-14 but I'm not gonna hold my breath. I guess it's a matter of cost

After rebuilding/refreshing the 400 in my Bronco, I consistently see 14mpg's hwy...city is about 8. That was after $1500 in parts and I did all the labor...I believe I posted a thread somewhere around here with all the parts and what was done. That said, I also have 3.55's. When I bump to 4.56's, the city should bump up a bit and the hwy should bump down a bit.

After rebuilding/refreshing the 400 in my Bronco, I consistently see 14mpg's hwy...city is about 8. That was after $1500 in parts and I did all the labor...I believe I posted a thread somewhere around here with all the parts and what was done. That said, I also have 3.55's. When I bump to 4.56's, the city should bump up a bit and the hwy should bump down a bit.

Do you know what thread it was per chance? I could afford something like that with the overtime if we have a good fire season this year.

Fl.
A cam that big I would just go ahead and run a solid roller with screw in studs and a stud girdle. might as well make some lifter noise with all that lumpy bumpy fun going on. Plus you could spend more money on parts / Thus delaying your build even longer. More excuses, you know like normal. Do you want to sell any of that stuff? I could send you pictures of it put together.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Hey Shaun, I'm headed down that way in December - I expect this truck running by then. :wavey:

Know im a little late jumping in here but new to the website. UTfball68, I noticed you said "Red's" truck has FC3 headers on there, did he by chance try the FC2 at first? Reason I ask is cause I'm currently swapping out my blown 390 for a 400 in my '69 F100. Sanderson said the FC2's would work but my eyes said no they won't :hammer: Heard the passenger takes FC3 and driver takes FC4. Any confirmation on this?

I have a 78 c6 and a 79 4speed, the 78 i swapped to a bone stock 68 model 460 with dove heads, 79 with 400 that just pulked out from mains rattlin and 351 in, my findings are this, 460 wayyy more power not even comparison to 400, but along with that is gas guage lol, so for me its a decision on originality or power, once decided that its clear decision

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
One day my little 434 might compare to something bigger :wasntme:

I just figure if u have sayy an x amount to spend on overhaul and power is the goal then start with more displacement since its a bolt in, but i plan on going thru my 400 to see what its capable of

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Oh, I agree that the 460 is easier and cheaper to make good numbers with....I was saying that a little tongue in cheek :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

primetime

sawmill slave
Not if your junk was originally packing 335 power. At least not as far as easiest. I get so sick and tired of Ford guys chanting the "that`s a boat anchor" b*******. They did what they were supposed to do, and did it well.

And if you put an identical stock 351w against an identical stock 351m, guess which one wins? The M. Why? Bigger ports, bigger valves, and a better rod/stroke ratio.

And from a torque and longevity stand point, a 347 might as well not even open it`s yap.

400 to 460 comparison

Now first I need to say that I am not 400 bias, just Ford bias.
Because of all this talk about dumping their 400/351M for a 460, we pulled up 2 dyno results we did on a 400 and a 460. I did my best to select comparable engine builds. Cam wise and compression. other wise they are stock engines.
As you can see the 460 did better than the 400, but it is so close that is it worth the effort and the weight gained for the 460.
The 400 will hold its own, if you use a 460, stroke it and take advantage of the size. The least you can build a 400 is 335 HP and 445 TQ, that's just for starters, nothing exotic. The comparison is about 5 years old now and we have learned a lot more on the 400.
31048_395634073761_4604587_n.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool post Tim..thanks!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts