Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What have you done to your 351M/400

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
69 70 71, 429/460 you have to like those. However for an EB they are not the answer. Our 400/434's will out pull most , equal to some, not stand a chance to few, of those 385's I like them but why carry the dead weight up front, or at all. Tunnel vision wont let you see who's passing you until it's too late.
You did not believe my 400 addiction? I should of made you wait for pictures. I thought "Demanding" pictures was calling me out. I guess it was.

Haha...don't get me wrong, I like 460's as well...but I like the red headed step child that is the 400. As for calling you out, merely ball busting.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Looks great Bax. Do you remove the front clip to change the spark plugs? LOL

Fl.
# 1 plug is the only real hard one. All the drivers sides are easy. The passenger side is a *****. The EB's drivetrain is offset to the passenger side so it makes that side a little harder.

Just not a big weezer fan. I like canted valves and old iron. The 385's are kinda heavy and a bit larger so the C motors fit the bill. The 351C is fine but for a truck the 400 is perfect for this job. We all know that. I got some old pictures of the engine bay. I will post them but I need to take some updated ones.smilieFordlogo

Hey, there is nothing wrong with a W all the power and 1/2 the weight of a 335...

:wasntme:

Fl.
Hey, there is nothing wrong with a W all the power and 1/2 the weight of a 335...

:wasntme:

Check your fire there Mr. Dragogt. The 351W is 525 pounds, the C is 550 and the 400 is 575 pounds. The W is more like 2/3 the power and 50 pounds lighter.

Ahh, but I forgot cheaper..

Ok so I was a little off on the weight.. (but that put them on equal footing)

Names Aaron btw..

Fl.
Hello Aaron, Aaron would you say that a v4 351 C would make better #'s than your w? Most w lovers would say yes. Next question has to be, If I stroked that c out to 400 ci would it make better #'s I really don't see any equal footing. Help me with this please.

Roger

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I'm soooooooo glad I'm not the only around here anymore that will fight tooth and nail for the 335's.

Ok, just how often do you find a 4v 351C??? Ford only made the C for like 4 years...

But since were talkin strokers how about a 408W with 4v or the like heads???

Ben, you should know by know I'll stick up for the lowly 335; But thats not going to stop me though...

Last edited:
Fl.
Oh I thought we were going stock parts and cheap builds. If you need to use aftermarket heads my cleveland stuff will still out flow your aftermarket stuff. if you want to bolt on my cleveland stuff to your w go ahead, But your half way to the dark side at this point. You might as well come on over. You know you want to. Next you want longer rods. I already have that. Don't make me pull out the 496 ci 400 stroker. lets keep this on a stock level. Your 408W stroker will last 40K miles. My 400 will go 300k.

A 408 had better last a hell of a lot longer than 40k..

I'll freely admit, the Cleveland was a badass engine, but like I said Ford only made them for 4 years.. yeah the M has a little longer rod, but guess what they'll fit a W crank; so thats a wash...

So back to Sq 1, same hp/ tq with less weight...

Sounds like you set your 351m up pretty well for parts, you could also add a set of roller rockers. I use them on pretty much every engine I build and they make quite a bit of difference on how quick the engine will rev and also a bit of diff on fuel mileage. Exhaust size and muffler type help too.smiliewhathesaid

Fl.
No your still missing a 1/2'' of stroke. were talking 400 here. Like you Im just using a few parts from the C to get more performance. You keep using my engine parts to make your W better. Sounds like your admitting your W needs help to keep up. Your not a lawyer are you? You know the type, the ones that will argue just to argue. Really I wanted to keep this a stock build and you keep making your build all fancy. You also mentioned cheap? You think the w is cheaper to build with better performance than the 400. Your just wrong

Fl.
Aluminum headed 460 makes up for the weight and easily more power

Aluminum headed wheezer is even less weight and can make the same power

only a matter of time before your 335 loses oil pressure and explodes. I've never heard anyone defending the 335 based on longevity lol

They make very good aluminum heads for the 400. so that argument is a push. In fact the 400 looses more weight than the w does when aluminum heads come into the picture. Oil pressure and the 400 is a very easy and very cheap fix. My 400 has 40 lbs at hot idle. 70 off idle using a stock volume oil pump. Even with bad oil pressure the 400 is a very long lived engine.
No argument on the 460.

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
CHIs(?) are the only aluminum heads for the 335 aren't they? I don't think they make them anymore either. 335 series certainly has potential for power and if you already have one in the truck it can't hurt to build, but for an all out build you can't beat the 385 series. I also wouldn't go out of my way to put one in something that didn't come with it, but not taking anything away from your truck, it looks like some great work and appears to make some pretty good power.

Fl.
No there are many options for aluminum 335 heads. Some are pretty wild. Blue Thunder, Brodix, AFD, CHI, and Ford Motorsport are a few. I also think edelbrock is making them. I like you guys not wanting to use the 335 engine. It helps me pick them up for next to nothing. Please keep calling them boat anchors. Now I guess I will go to the W engine forum and pick on them. Sounds like fun.

No your still missing a 1/2'' of stroke. were talking 400 here. Like you Im just using a few parts from the C to get more performance. You keep using my engine parts to make your W better. Sounds like your admitting your W needs help to keep up. Your not a lawyer are you? You know the type, the ones that will argue just to argue. Really I wanted to keep this a stock build and you keep making your build all fancy. You also mentioned cheap? You think the w is cheaper to build with better performance than the 400. Your just wrong

No I'm not a lawyer.. lolol

How, and where did I get all fancy??

CHIs(?) are the only aluminum heads for the 335 aren't they? I don't think they make them anymore either. 335 series certainly has potential for power and if you already have one in the truck it can't hurt to build, but for an all out build you can't beat the 385 series. I also wouldn't go out of my way to put one in something that didn't come with it, but not taking anything away from your truck, it looks like some great work and appears to make some pretty good power.

Agreed..

No there are many options for aluminum 335 heads. Some are pretty wild. Blue Thunder, Brodix, AFD, CHI, and Ford Motorsport are a few. I also think edelbrock is making them. I like you guys not wanting to use the 335 engine. It helps me pick them up for next to nothing. Please keep calling them boat anchors. Now I guess I will go to the W engine forum and pick on them. Sounds like fun.

Unlike Paul I can respect the 335, But I also wont go swapping it into something that didn't come with it...

Fl.
So have we totally hijacked this thread now?

Dragogt. you got all fancy when you started swapping parts to try and keep up with 335. I kept trying to stay stock and cheap. you keep getting fancy on me.

First let me say..

This is FTF, a thread VERY RARELY starts and ends on the same subject...

And since when are 4v C heads cheep?? You keep going back to those, but unless you happen to have a set laying around their gonna cost you at least a grand not counting any work that has to be done to them...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts