Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What have you done to your 351M/400

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
To kinda get this thread back on topic...I found a guy who can weld cast iron really well...so I had the clusterf*ck of job the shop did to the broken bolt for my t-stat filled up and redrilled for a 3/8 bolt this week.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I hope so...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
yea so do I........hey if ya need a modded 351m gimme a holler 800 bucks and comes with a truck and clean title lol....

Hoe modded we talkin??????? Gonna need a nice/fresh/hot 351M/400 in the next couple months. And I'll be taking several trips to Florida over the next month for private showcase workouts...you can send me a PM.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dang...completely forgot about this Thread. Red's 400 has remained the same, but the Bronco's has drastically changed. The 351 was pulled out, was holding about 15psi at highway speeds...had almost ZERO compression in 2 cylinders and #6 had a busted piston skirt. So I pulled it out and threw in a 78 400 with roughly 90k on the clock. Threw that engine in right from the field. Drove it around for 6 months like that until every seal and gasket leaked. Then pulled it apart and did complete re-seal/gasket job to it. I threw a Comp double roller TC in, some Taylor 8mm wires, a Pertronix coil and called it good. Now it's looking like it's going to get a fresh distributor too.

havi

third member
I just got back onto my Tbird project. The motor mount issue has been an issue, but I think I about got it licked. Follow up in the future.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Update from yesterday...the Bronco is going to need a distributor and a cam. The dizzy will be an OEM replacement and the cam will be whatever TMI hooks me up with.

Well, I haven't done much to my '90 except replace the whole damn thing. It came stock with the 5.8L option ticked, but I blew a head gasket last fall and did enough damage to it that I decided to just swap in a new motor.

So I bought a new ATK Stage 1 351 Windsor, rated by the manufacturer at 300HP/370lb-ft of torque. Haven't had it dyno'd yet, but I'll get there. I've also got a nice little K&N cylindrical-style intake, as well as a cheap-o Flowmaster Hushmaster exhaust. Single pipe, side tip. Makes a nice rumble at idle, but doesn't sound too much different from the stock system at highway speeds. Until you gun it, of course. ;)

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I bought a new ATK Stage 1 351 Windsor

Someone say Windsor?:guns: :hammer:

That is neither a 351m or a 400. I won't bust your chops too bad since your new, but watch out for the other guys!!!:)

................and welcome to FTF!!!!!!!!!!!smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That was awfully civil of you Lee :D

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Yeah we wouldn't want anyone mentioning a good engine in with a bunch of boat anchors now would we?

smiliestirthepot smiliestirthepot smiliestirthepot smiliestirthepot smiliestirthepot

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Someone say Windsor?:guns: :hammer:

That is neither a 351m or a 400. I won't bust your chops too bad since your new, but watch out for the other guys!!!:)

................and welcome to FTF!!!!!!!!!!!smilieFordlogo
So is the correct terminology Windsor or Modified? I've always been confused on that spot. I mean, I thought it was a 351M until I was told otherwise by a friend of mine who helped with the motor swap (he's actually a mechanic).

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That was awfully civil of you Lee :D

I agree, very commendable

Yeah we wouldn't want anyone mentioning a good engine in with a bunch of boat anchors now would we?

smiliestirthepot smiliestirthepot smiliestirthepot smiliestirthepot smiliestirthepot

Why I oughta...

Sean--->:hammer: <---Ben

So is the correct terminology Windsor or Modified? I've always been confused on that spot. I mean, I thought it was a 351M until I was told otherwise by a friend of mine who helped with the motor swap (he's actually a mechanic).

You do in fact have a 351W(indsor). Ford also had 351C(leveland) as well as a 351M...there are lots of folks that call it a Modified, but there is no Ford documentation establishing what the M stands for. Personally, I think it was simply to differentiate it from the other 2. I believe the 351M and 400 ran from 1971 until 1982.

So I gotta Windsor? I always thought the Cleveland was for Mustangs, M for Panthers, and we had Windsors. Or some such mess. But I'm all ears here. I'm still new to the truck world, given I've spent most of my life studying all that is Ford Tempo. ;)

Forgive my ignorance! The dealer that sold the truck advertised it as a 351M, so that kinda led me astray.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So I gotta Windsor? I always thought the Cleveland was for Mustangs, M for Panthers, and we had Windsors. Or some such mess. But I'm all ears here. I'm still new to the truck world, given I've spent most of my life studying all that is Ford Tempo. ;)

Forgive my ignorance! The dealer that sold the truck advertised it as a 351M, so that kinda led me astray.

To be honest, I don't have a damn clue what 351's went in which cars or when they did, but you definitely have a 351W in your truck. And this site is here to teach, so ask away and someone here will be able to answer your questions.

Alrighty that clears it up. So why is everyone down on the Windsor? The comparison to it with a boat anchor seems a bit harsh. :/ I mean, it ain't a Porsche but my truck hits 60 faster than a good many smaller, more lightweight cars. Tows like a dream too. :D Than again, I've got plenty of money sunk into that truck's power-plant.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alrighty that clears it up. So why is everyone down on the Windsor? The comparison to it with a boat anchor seems a bit harsh. :/ I mean, it ain't a Porsche but my truck hits 60 faster than a good many smaller, more lightweight cars. Tows like a dream too. :D Than again, I've got plenty of money sunk into that truck's power-plant.

The boat anchor reference was for the 351M/400...because they are often referred to as boat anchors because they were slow heavy pigs in stock smogged form, and alot of guys think the only use for one is as an anchor. Usually that assumption is ignorance based, but seeing as this is a 351M/400 thread, guys like to take free jabs whenever they can. We seem to have a good mix of FE fans, small block fans, 335 series fans, 385 series fans, and modular fans on this site, so there's a good bit of poking fun that goes on.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts