Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tool box installed!

Thats cool, I was more interested in the installation. Looks like it fits in there real nice. It's a good idea really, I always see backup lights hanging below the bumper just waiting to get tore up.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Thats cool, I was more interested in the installation. Looks like it fits in there real nice. It's a good idea really, I always see backup lights hanging below the bumper just waiting to get tore up.
Yeah I'm pretty satisfied with it. Only complaint is that they're old so they're starting to show age in the integrity of the plastic, but my bumper is too so it all matches quite nicely smilietease

Believe me...I know about backing up in the dark. I forget to back in sometimes. Not fun!!!!

The wiring does no exist for backup lights on the old trucks. If I could come up with a way to semi-hide them...I could put some on a toggle switch. I will have to think about that one.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I used to have a 55 watt Tractor work light mounted under my rear bumper...for those pesky tailgaters.......had it aimed right at the driver too lol...then I back up a hill and ripped it off......

JR

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Yes sir, both sets are still operable. Really helps a lot when I'm backing up in a dark place, especially with the stock backup lights being so far off the ground.
Those are sweet Chris. I had never noticed, I guess because they look factory. Lucky for you, the bumpers on those years have that indent to install them into. Our newer ones like mine don't, but I'm gonna try and figure out something. Just out of curiosity then, are they tied directly into the factory back-up lights or are they done via a relay off the factory or are they on their own switch all together.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Y'know, I've never looked at the wiring... They had it done professionally so I'm assuming they did it right (using a relay of of the factory wiring) but they vary well could have just sucked some of the juice from the existing lights.

As for the placement, I'll take some closer shots a little later so you can see that, the lights actually AREN'T flush with that groove in the bumper, there's a bit of a gap but it looks just fine.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Y'know, I've never looked at the wiring... They had it done professionally so I'm assuming they did it right (using a relay of of the factory wiring).
You know what they say about assuming, right?

I've seen stuff that's "Professionally" done. That WAY doesn't mean right, it just means that it works.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I've seen stuff that's "Professionally" done. That WAY doesn't mean right, it just means that it works.

Doesn't even always mean that...

Friend had a bunch of auxiliary lighting professionally installed on his Ranger. Stopped working after a while, he took it back to the place that did it to get it fixed.

They looked at it, couldn't find the problem. He's not overly mechanical, but he found the problem quicker than they did, just by poking at wires until it either started working again or something sparked. He wasn't real impressed.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Probably- he's got two big back up lights, plus four extras on the front. And factory fogs.

I think about half the weight of his truck is accessories...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The way I've got it setup right now is with the 4 self tapping screws that they provided for me (I was excited to install it and I didn't wanna drive 20 minutes to the hardware store). In the future, I plan on removing this screws and replacing them with thick nuts and bolts, with the bolt upside down and a cotter pin through the end of it inside the box (so it can't be stolen).

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Thats how I did mine but I got large wing nuts . Hold down tighter. Looks good

(digging up an old thread)
how's this working for you? wish you had a bigger one yet? had to take it in & out?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Workin great! YelloThumbUp Haven't had to take it out yet, and it's mostly full. I suppose it would be nice to have a bigger one but to be honest, I stocked it with all the essential supplies (including a floor jack and stands) and there still a little room to spare. I'm very satisfied with it :)

blacksnapon

Staff member
Workin great! YelloThumbUp Haven't had to take it out yet, and it's mostly full. I suppose it would be nice to have a bigger one but to be honest, I stocked it with all the essential supplies (including a floor jack and stands) and there still a little room to spare. I'm very satisfied with it :)
I'd put a floor jack in mine, but I can't lift it that high!smilietease

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Current contents (or as much as I can remember):

- Craftsmen socket tool set (seen in the pics in first post)
- Heavy duty tow strap
- Smaller ratcheting straps
- Plastic box with extra motor oil, ATF, funnel, and oil drain pan
- Boss spade fuse kit (assorted fuses and a fuse tester)
- Craftsman floor jack + stands
- 4 way lug wrench
- Extra serp belt
- Extra headlight bulb
- Battery terminal cleaner
- Small bottle of orange clean
- Electrical trailer connectors/adapters
- Jumper cables
- Yellow nylon rope
- Cheater pipe
- Bag-o-rags
- Crimp-on electrical connector kit (has crimp-on connections, crimpers, strippers, electrical tape, test light, zip ties, etc) - contain in a plastic carrying case
- Empty cardboard Pro Comp box which used to have my CB shims in it

That's all I can remember. There may be more :)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
- Empty cardboard Pro Comp box which used to have my CB shims in it

I never leave home without a few empty parts boxes. (Really. Though I don't tend to list them when I tell people what I carry in the back of my truck...:p)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ian said:
Though I don't tend to list them when I tell people what I carry in the back of my truck...
Haha, yeah well I was driving at the point that there's ROOM TO SPARE in the toolbox. Enough to keep an empty cardboard box at least :rofl:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts