Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tool box installed!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Andy must be living in one of his sick sexual fantasies again, just ignore it.

SOO!! I went and spent about $120 for supplies to stock the toolbox with!!! Got 17k tow straps, 1100lb Reese ratchet straps, 6 gauge 200amp jumper cables, couple quarts of 10w30, 3 quarts of merc/dex III atf, 4-way lug wrench, big box-o-fuses, other stuff I can't remember. My mom is going to help me buy a small floor jack and jack stands since she feels like she didn't spend enough on the toolbox :nana:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
My mom is going to help me buy a small floor jack and jack stands since she feels like she didn't spend enough on the toolbox :nana:
SWEET!! My mom & dad bought me a 2 ton floor jack to carry with me. First time I tried to jack the font end, the safety valve actually blew off. Sadly, it ruined it. Apparently, 2 tons isn't enough for a diesel or the jack just sucked that bad. :)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
SWEET!! My mom & dad bought me a 2 ton floor jack to carry with me. First time I tried to jack the font end, the safety valve actually blew off. Sadly, it ruined it. Apparently, 2 tons isn't enough for a diesel or the jack just sucked that bad. :)
Yeah I ALMOST bought the 2 ton jack and stands set at Auto Zone for $60, then I thought I'd be much better off to just spend a couple extra bucks and get one at Sears.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Dad's got a small Sears floor jack- he drives a Focus, so weight isn't much of an issue. It works fine, but I'm not crazy about the valve design- I find it hard to get the handle onto it to loosen.

The jack I carry, I pulled out of the dump...it's not really very safe, but that's why I've got the jackstands. I'm not the most safety conscious person around, but I never get under anything supported by that jack; only use it to put it on the stands. Come to think of it, I got the four-way there, too. Somebody got a lugnut and broken stud wedged in one end, and threw it away. I stuck it in a lathe and drilled it out in about 10 minutes...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Got a Craftsman 2.5 ton floor jack and stands set at Sears for $56.99 :) Tested it on my front left wheel and it lifted it up just fine. I figured the front is heavier than the rear so if it could lift that then no problems ;) Jack and stands fit in the box just fine. Still need to get a fire extinguisher. What else?! :D

Don't laugh at me but, a roll of common 'ol ordinary tie wire. It's cheap, doesn't take up much space, and could come in handy as all hell.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Ok, laugh all you want, but carry a roll of duct tape too. It DOES have many good emergency uses that are not caused by an idiot at the track!!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I can't remember so well on trucks like yours, but I've found that having some Torx drivers (I have both a set of 1/4" and 3/8" drive socket-style ones and some cheapy screwdriver-style) can come in handy for lots of things... The sockets were pricy, but I got seven sizes of screwdriver style ones for less than $10 at the local discount tool outlet.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Brad what do you do for a living?You explained to the hippy what tie wire was like you're a construction worker...I've got a commercial sized fire extinguisher like on construction sites...had I had a little one but it wasn't enough juice to put an engine fire out....good thing I had to pee.Get the black duct tape like mechanical (ductwork and a/c guys) use...it seems like the adhesive lasts longer.....Happy birthday dude......Nice box..Tony my buddy has one I'm sure I could talk him out of it if you let himsit in your truck.....it's just sittin there but I think it needs the gas shocks and some tack welding......Chris what happened to your carpeted deal?Clevises would be good too...that way if you do have to tow and there's nothing to hook up to easily you won't be cussing to get the straps off.....Tony I got a 9 inch housing if you want it......needs new axleshafts.....

JR

JR

flareside_thunder said:
Brad what do you do for a living?You explained to the hippy what tie wire was like you're a construction worker

Yes sir, I am a grubby construction worker. My truck has an A.R.E. reinforced fiberglass cross bed tool box and I love it. It's 11 years old and on it's 4th truck and third color. It was expensive going in, but the longevity I've gotten out of it has made it a good investment.
AREToolboxLarge.jpg

Along with a plethora of stuff like listed in posts above, but too much to try to list here, I carry a full compliment of mechanical tools in it to include a full set of 3/4" drive socket set with up to 2" sockets and wrenches up to 1 1/2". In the back seat of my truck (seat folded up) are two big plastic storage containers that contain all of my winter clothing and a change of clothes.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts