Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tips, Tricks and References

After doing some research...This needs to be in here.

Re: Ford Gauges

They are calibrated to read empty or zero at 70 Ohms of resistance. The full or maximum reading will be at 10 Ohms. All of the senders are calibrated for this 70-10 Ohm range. The fuel sender at 1/2 tank should read 40 Ohms.

~Ohms >> Reading
150 >> No movement - same as if the wire were broken or disconnected
73 >> Off scale 1/2 needle width below E
68 >> E
50 >> 1/8
26 >> 1/2
15 >> 7/8
12 >> F
10 >> Off scale a needle's width above F

Since the gauges are all a little different these numbers are not exact, but close. Shorting the sender wire to ground is a way to test the gauge but since its Zero Ohms to ground it will be overheating the gauge if you keep the short there for very long.

Even with an empty tank the needle will move just a bit when the key is turned on so that it is at the 73 Ohm position. That tells you the wire is not broken. With the 16 gallon tank and an original Ford float properly adjusted the first 1.5 gallons does not change the gauge reading; Ford's way of getting you to fill up early so you won't run out of gas. Likewise the last gallon does not change the slightly more than F reading; makes you feel good that the needle didn't drop after the first 10 miles of driving.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Great info Dennis...that'll help alot when all you have are factory gauges and no mechanicals to work from.

Hey Folks, I just looked at a 1979 F100 Ranger, seems to be all original, 104,000 miles, has some rust in the bed and around the roof, the interior is clean and also original, has the factory mag wheels, runs good, the guy is asking $2400.00 is it worth it or does the rust kill it ??, I'm looking for something to restore and show, but don't know if that is good or not, I would appreciate any input , advice, and comments, from anyone before I jump and throw away my money, Thanks for the help, Tangi Cowboy.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I think this thread should get stickied.

It was...then they wanted to clean up this section. So they put all the stickies into one big sticky called 'Threads of Importance'

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
It was...then they wanted to clean up this section. So they put all the stickies into one big sticky called 'Threads of Importance'

I really don't like that. I'm on here everyday and just noticed that about 2 months ago.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I really don't like that. I'm on here everyday and just noticed that about 2 months ago.

Me neither...but they wanted to clean it up. I really didn't think 5-6 stickies was too bad...especially ones that useful. I highly doubt any ever checks the 'threads of importance'. I mean hell...Don just started a thread, because he didn't know one existed in the sub folder.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dunno if I posted this, but if I did, read it again.

When inspecting gears, catch the gear oil in a plastic baggy of sorts, by loosening the bottom couple of bolts and draining it into the bag. If it still looks good and fresh, you can reuse it. Just throw it in, baggy and all. The plastic will have no ill effects and it will save you $10-12 bucks in new lube.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey fellas...got a tip that could possibly save you $9. The power steering belt on the Bronco was shot, went to Napa to pick up a stock replacement...$23. When I got it, I still had the pump tightened all the way out...the belt was fine with no squeaks, but I wasn't liking it too much for future stretching. I believe the belt they gave me was a 9525 and 31/64w X 52 3/8L. So after the test fit, I brought it back and asked for a belt an inch shorter. They brought me a 9510, same width but 51 3/8L. It ended up being $14 and gave me room to tighten for future stretching.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Haven't tried it yet, but I read if you freeze your ball joints before install, they go in much easier.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Haven't tried it yet, but I read if you freeze your ball joints before install, they go in much easier.

yep common practice.....throw em in the freezer the night before, or while dissassembling.

ive used liquid nitrogen on some bushing before...or several times...but it was on something much bigger

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Don't tell that to my GF, she might get ideas.:headbang:

Don't knock it til you try it. Just be glad she doesn't know about air hammers to get things unstuck.

Hey all dont know if you know of this website but you can search all local junkyard inventories country wide at

www.car-parts.com

I love this website I have used it to find very difficult to locate pieces for my Charger.....

Ford Truck Articles