Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tips, Tricks and References

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I had a 77 plymouth fury ex police car with a 440 in it. Plug changes were near impossible on it without a flexible something or other.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Gonna bring this one back...anybody have any tips and tricks for removing and installing a radiator in '79 Bronco? It seems pretty straight forward, I've replaced a couple rad's on 87-96 Fords recently, but nothing on a dentside recently. So if anyone has any tips on streamlining the process or making it easier...post it up.

...anybody have any tips and tricks for removing and installing a radiator
in '79 Bronco?

Pretty much monkey see monkey do on radiators. ;)

Prob'ly nothing you don't already know but if you've got an automatic (ick;)
use flare nut wrenches on the flare nuts don't even try an open end even
one time. I've never had that problem on my pickup because I'd already
learned that just taking old stuff apart for the fun of it.

Get a set of flare nut wrenches and don't look back. ;)
11mm wrench fits the little 7/16" ones tighter.
14mm wrench fits the 9/16" ones tighter.
19mm wrench fits the 3/4" ones tighter.
So get both. ;)

Don't be afraid to take some stuff off to make it easier in the long run, like
the fan and look for leaks around your water pump etc you might decide to
tear into that part too while you're at it.

You don't know what you are going to find until you look! ;)

Put anti-seize or moly-grease or motor oil or something on all the bolts before
putting them back.

Taking some stuff off my new parts truck has made me realize how easy my
'75 is to work on! Jeeze, I twisted off like exhaust clamp 3 bolts and it's an
AZ city-only truck too. You guys (and me too) is prob'ly wondering what my
problem is, but I've gotten spoiled rotten from working on my pickup. I can't
remember a single bolt I've ever twisted off on that thing. :)

Alvin in AZ

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for the info Alvin, I appreciate it.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Heres one never ever ever fill your truck up with gas after the tanker has come to the station in the last few hours. When they fill the tank in the ground it stirs up all the rust and crap on the bottom of the tank and goes right through the pump and into your tank. I filled my truck once when the tanker was fillin the tank and got a ton of rust and crap in my filters. I finally took the line off and filtered it with a rag and a funnel and did that a few times and it was fine.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
When doing a restoration or just a simple repair, it doesn't hurt to take pictures to use as a reference.

Get some ZipLock Bags and label everything so that when it's time to put the truck back together you know where things go. Especially, bolts.

Unless a part is obviously bad, don't throw anything out. Don't assume you can get a new one for cheap or a new part at all.

If not entirely sure on what to order, ask the forum first. Saved me some $$$$$.

While out in the junkyards, don't pass up a good part and don't forget your tools.

Heres one- always buy a Ford. The others out there are likely to break down on you. Besides, if you buy one of those off brand piecers, not all of us can help you as much

flathead95hp

Always a Ford Guy
Always carry an extra ignition module with you. I always carry an extra due to the fact that the old modules were notoriously unreliable. Just my 2 cents.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Always carry an extra ignition module with you. I always carry an extra due to the fact that the old modules were notoriously unreliable. Just my 2 cents.

great tip...I learned that one the hard way. Could only go 10 miles at a time and then wait 15 mins for the darn thing to cool off. That was the longest 45 mile drive of my life.

When replacing the auto shifter cowl to original, the correct OEM paint colour is an 83-85 Mazda colour called: Sparking Black.

This thread need to be a sticky.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I found one more helpful source, that member ranger429 compiled of trim level differences, and it also has the location of the VIN on the frame. Again this is not my list, ranger429 put the list together, and since he's a member of this site, I don't think he'll mind me posting a link to it. It's post #1 in this link:

http://7879blueovalbronco.mybb3.org...t96.html-sid=956eb1242ef3bce2041e5e2bd45c94d4

That link no longer works Ben. Here is a link to the new one. http://7879blueovalbronco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts