Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

thermostat temp

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
agree. people are stupid(on the fact that they do NOT take care of their vehicles.....)

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
just drop it man...agree to disagree...

Correct, stupid people install K&N air filters!!!!

Thats Bob for you....blanket statements, cheap insults, name calling etc. etc.

You must be some kind of mastermind that knows things that nobody else knows regarding all these things that you say are worthless and only stupid people use yet many people use with good proven results (since links are your favorite thing and you consider them proof, I am sure I can find some), not to mention how MANY of these things sell (K&N is summits #1 seller, or so I am told by someone that works in the warehouse) and how common the Taurus fan (or any efan) thing is. Either that, or you are one of those older guys that refuses to accept anything that goes contrary to your current set of beliefs regardless of what is said to you due to stubborness and an ego.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Thats Bob for you....blanket statements, cheap insults, name calling etc. etc.

You must be some kind of mastermind that knows things that nobody else knows regarding all these things that you say are worthless and only stupid people use yet many people use with good proven results (since links are your favorite thing and you consider them proof, I am sure I can find some), not to mention how MANY of these things sell (K&N is summits #1 seller, or so I am told by someone that works in the warehouse) and how common the Taurus fan (or any efan) thing is. Either that, or you are one of those older guys that refuses to accept anything that goes contrary to your current set of beliefs regardless of what is said to you due to stubborness and an ego.

You know, you haven't come up with one thing to dispute the points I've made in any of my posts!!!

Last edited:
You know, you haven't come up with one thing to dispute the points I've made in any my posts!!!

Regarding the value of an e-fan and that a K&N does flow more (not that the extra flow is always needed) and will work just fine for filtering as long as it has been maintained properly, I have disputed your points (in this thread and others), and I am not the only one that has done this. You choose to ignore it all however.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Man... I'm guess I have to say the same thing in this thread...

Lets keep it friendly guys. Keep in mind that FTF is always welcoming new users, and if/when the prospective users come into threads like this they will think our site is hostile and unfriendly (like some OTHER sites). Can please either drop these arguments or discuss them in a friendly manner? If I have to close the thread then I will, but I'd like for it not to have to come to that.

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
Regarding the value of an e-fan and that a K&N does flow more and will work just fine for filtering as long as it has been maintained properly, I have disputed your points (in this thread and others), and I am not the only one that has done this. You choose to ignore it all however, due to stubborness and your ego.

Yes, the K&N air filter DOES flow more are than the OEM paper filter, and chicken wire flows even more!

See if you can understand this concept:

The MAX airflow an engine will pull (WOT, and MAX RPM) is 500CFM

An OEM paper filter will flow 750CFM

A K&N will flow 950CFM

Now, will there be more airflow if you install the K&N???? The thing to remember, it's the engine pulling the air that limits the airflow, NOT the filter!!

The answer is no, you will only get more dirt and oil passed into the engine....

Yes, the K&N air filter DOES flow more are than the OEM paper filter, and chicken wire flows even more!

See if you can understand this concept:

The MAX airflow an engine will pull (WOT, and MAX RPM) is 500CFM

An OEM paper filter will flow 750CFM

A K&N will flow 950CFM

Now, will there be more airflow if you install the K&N???? The thing to remember, it's the engine pulling the air that limits the airflow, NOT the filter!!

The answer is no, you will only get more dirt and oil passed into the engine....

I also said, "not that the extra flow is always needed". You took that out of the quote...

I understand the analogy. But, things like forced induction, increased displacement and gains in volumetric efficiency will increase how much air each piston will pull in per intake stroke. So, if and when the motor wants more air than the stock filter will allow, the filter becomes the weak link and changes must be made. You can either come up with a stock style air filter that is dimensionally larger and has more surface area and find a way to enclose it and plumb it all up (not easy), remove the filter (not wise) or come up with a filter that fits the stock location but will pass more air while still filtering it (easy to do) - and thats where K&N and AEM and others come in, service them properly and you are good to go. Sometimes the entire rig is modified and there is no *stock set up* to go by and an entire intake system needs to be fab'd up. Aftermarket filters come in handy there too.

blacksnapon

Staff member
As far as the thermostat issue goes, I've always been told that the fuel injected/computerized vehicles need 195 degrees before the sensors work correctly. Carbureted vehicles are a different world all together.

As far as the thermostat issue goes, I've always been told that the fuel injected/computerized vehicles need 195 degrees before the sensors work correctly. Carbureted vehicles are a different world all together.

I have wondered about this before, and I can't help but think that emissions has something to do with it. Lets say that 180* is the ideal temp for a gas engine, BUT the computer and coolant temp sensor are calibrated to run at 195* for what ever reason. All this meaning that a tuner and someone with some skill would be needed to get the system to run properly at 180*.

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
I have wondered about this before, and I can't help but think that emissions has something to do with it. Lets say that 180* is the ideal temp for a gas engine, BUT the computer and coolant temp sensor are calibrated to run at 195* for what ever reason. All this meaning that a tuner and someone with some skill would be needed to get the system to run properly at 180*.

So, bottom line, use the OEM recommended 195 thermostat, this is where the engine is tuned to run the most efficient, and the engine will have the
most life!

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
If by most efficient you mean the best for emissions. Not necessarily for engine life or power. It'd likely be healthier for an engine to run at 180*, but they use 195* for the stringent emissions nowadays.

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
If by most efficient you mean the best for emissions. Not necessarily for engine life or power. It'd likely be healthier for an engine to run at 180*, but they use 195* for the stringent emissions nowadays.

No, efficient, as in MPG, and this is due to Cafe standards. No, running at 195 is healthier, because contaminants are boiled out of the oil quicker.

You can see that in the graph in this link that Eco previously posted:

http://performanceunlimited.com/illustrations/thermostats.html

So, one more time, it's best to run the OEM 195 thermostat!

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
I put a 195 in and my hoses get hot now...but not sure if the head and stuff get hot yet...

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
You never cease to amaze, Bob. Go look at that graph again and read the paragraphs surrounding it. You seen the green and the blue overlapping? Between 180 and 200 degrees? Yea..

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts