Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

thermostat temp

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
youd be amazed the crap that you type when you got.....on your mind..

True...when your enjoy demands more flow though..you gotta deliver......I've yet to try an AEM dry filter but I would like to......the K&N is supposed to hurt your MAF Meter....

I have the AEM dryflow on my van. It aint running yet though...

I have a K&N on my Duster and I find that as long as it is maintained properly they work great! It wont hurt a MAF unless it is over oiled - and then all you would have to do is clean the MAF, and it wont flow much for particulate unless it is not serviced properly...thats my observation.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Even K&N realizes the amount of dirt & crap their air filters pass, this is right out of the warranty section of their website:

"K&N will not be responsible for any other expenses incurred by the customer under the terms of this warranty, nor shall it be responsible for any damages either consequential, special, contingent, or otherwise; or expenses or injury arising directly or indirectly from the use of the K&N Air Filter."

You won't see this for ANY OEM paper filter manufacturer!

Here is a truly independent test and comparison of the different brands of air filters. The K&N is the worst for filter efficiency, and the amount of dirt they pass:

http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

This was in the summary of the report:

"The stock filter will flow MORE THAN ENOUGH AIR to give you ALL THE HORSEPOWER the engine has to give."

This is true for ALL vehicle manufacturers, with the Cafe standards, they design the intake system to be as efficient as possible. Even the stock system is a CAI!
I believe Vince posted a report that Ford put out that was specific in documented there was no advantage to the aftermarket filters, like K&N! Scott, this is the
thread I was looking for the other day!!

Last edited:

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
see my buddy runs K&n not because the flow great or anythign like that. But hes a country fire fighter and alot of times he has to go through washed out roads. And when the filter gets wet he can just dry it out and get going. Cant do that with paper filters....

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
see my buddy runs K&n not because the flow great or anythign like that. But hes a country fire fighter and alot of times he has to go through washed out roads. And when the filter gets wet he can just dry it out and get going. Cant do that with paper filters....

If he is getting in water high enough to soak the air filter, then I would say he is at risk if injesting water into his engine, and hydro-locking it. If this
happens, you can pretty much kiss your engine good bye....

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
hes got the cash to replace it believe you me. he told me how he was driving through water mid way up the side window...he abuses his poor truck but hes got the cash to fix it.

Hes even got a grabber green motor...except its a 347ci.

i can get my filter wet without going through highwater. The intake on my truck, and his, and any 92-96 come in right below the hood and above the grill make it where when you hit puddles it just sprays it in there.

Last edited:

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
did someone say grabber green?!?!

:rolleyes: :D

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
ya ill snap pics of it, this weekend. Its a bit dusty but its grabber green. We he told me he went mudding so it might not be that visible. But i assure you its grabber green.

The story behind it was, he was bsing with the engine builder, it got late he grabbed the motor and left, When he got back to his house he was afraid moisture would get to the block and cause it to get some rust on the new machined parts. So he went to the only store open and the only color they had was grabber green.

Even K&N realizes the amount of dirt & crap their air filters pass, this is right out of the warranty section of their website:

"K&N will not be responsible for any other expenses incurred by the customer under the terms of this warranty, nor shall it be responsible for any damages either consequential, special, contingent, or otherwise; or expenses or injury arising directly or indirectly from the use of the K&N Air Filter."

You won't see this for ANY OEM paper filter manufacturer!

Here is a truly independent test and comparison of the different brands of air filters. The K&N is the worst for filter efficiency, and the amount of dirt they pass:

http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

This was in the summary of the report:

"The stock filter will flow MORE THAN ENOUGH AIR to give you ALL THE HORSEPOWER the engine has to give."

K&N gives that notice because they know that *some people* wont maintain + service it properly and they don't want to be responsible for other peoples negligence. Many, many, MANY manufacturers of all kinds of things say things like "We will not be responsible for damage....blah blah" just to cover themselves because there are people that don't do things by the book, don't follow instructions etc. and they know it. Since there is no maintenance to a paper filter beyond changing it regularly (and if you dont do that it wont hurt anything beyond performance) they have no reason to provide a warranty disclaimer of any kind. Paper filters are virtually fool proof. The stock filter may be OK for stock motors, but not all motors or even vehicles for that matter are stock.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
yea for me to be throwing on a 50.00 filter and something like efans would be foolish.

Now my buddy he might see an advantage out of it. Like i said hes running a highcompression stroked out 302. and this truck is huge. 33s all around. heavy half ton (2 sway bars) long bed, reg cab. i can keep up until the truck shifts from 3rd to 4th and then hes pulling away. And all the while when i do keep up, ive got it tot he floor...

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
K&N gives that notice because they know that *some people* wont maintain + service it properly and they don't want to be responsible for other peoples negligence. .

So, if the K&N isn't serviced, it plugs up with dirt like a paper filter, big deal!!

If they are that sensitive to servicing them properly, there would be warnings about servicing properly.....DUH!!!!

The real reason, they don't want to be responsible for dusted turbos, etc. which have been documented by using K&N air filters
for the dirt they pass!!

Your scrambling for an excuse for K&N's warranty statement Eco!!!

So, if the K&N isn't serviced, it plugs up with dirt like a paper filter, big deal!!
wrong, if you don't oil/service it properly , it'll let a bunch of dirt past = problem.

K&N relies on the oil to catch the dirt
paper filters rely on the paper to catch it

i'm not a huge believer in a K&N, but people have a hard enough time remembering to change their oil...how well would having your average Jo oil a filter on a regular basis go over ....not well, so everyone sticks with paper

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
wrong, if you don't oil/service it properly , it'll let a bunch of dirt past = problem.

K&N relies on the oil to catch the dirt
paper filters rely on the paper to catch it

i'm not a huge believer in a K&N, but people have a hard enough time remembering to change their oil...how well would having your average Jo oil a filter on a regular basis go over ....not well, so everyone sticks with paper

WRONG!!!!

Here is the servicing instructions from the K&N website, and the only CAUTION with regards to engine damage is making sure the filter seals properly!! Now the insteresting part, why would the seal be a problem on the K&N, and not on a OEM paper filter????? Maybe they figure there is already plenty of dirt passed by the filter media, and the engine can't handle any more dirt from a bad seal!! There are plenty of CAUTIONS on damaging the filter during servicing!!!

http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

Last edited:

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
in my opinion paper filters have done fine for the past what 100 years...im sticking with them. No point in messing with something that works.

If its not broken, dont fix it...That motto works well on some things tho...

If they are that sensitive to servicing them properly, there would be warnings about servicing properly.....DUH!!!!

The real reason, they don't want to be responsible for dusted turbos, etc. which have been documented by using K&N air filters
for the dirt they pass!!

Your scrambling for an excuse for K&N's warranty statement Eco!!!

Like tomtoc said, if you don't service it properly it will pass lots of dirt because the oil is what it needs to catch the dirt. Service it properly and it will filter just as well as anything. Slack on the service and it wont. It's not that complex. They don't want to be responsible for those that don't do their part just like Holly, IST, MSD, Edelbrock and on and on and on. All these aftermarket gurus have warranty disclaimers on certian items so that they don't have to pay for their customers not doing their part. They must all make junk product by your logic, but that is obviously not the case. I used to work at a Chrysler/Jeep dealer and the Mopar Perfomance stuff that I got a good deal on for being an employee had NO WARRANTY at all and it was all loaded with warranty disclaimers. Is it all junk? Obviously not.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
who cares anyways...If you want a k&n buy one...its your money. If you like stock that works. stop bickering yall sound like an old married couple...

Last edited by a moderator:

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Jesus Christ......please to God stop this damn fighting...I WILL get in the middle of it..and I KNOW I've made you look like an ass in another thread already by proving you wrong......Bandwagons suck...but I'll jump on if need be.....IMO, people are idiots......I've seen people go 5 10 or even 15k without an oil change...they don't care about their vehicles...that IS the reason for the disclaimer as been previously stated NUMEROUS times....people do direct replacement mods cause it gives them more power...they don't think about anything else...and I'm going from experience when I say i noticed a HUGE difference between the K&N and the factory paper element.....TO HELL WITH IT!Tests tests tests...why would I trust anything that has a link to DURAMAX?They can't build a decent engine what makes you think they can properly set up a test?Show me ONE average Joe off the street that knows how to maintain their vehicle themselves and not just take it to the dealer or the mechanic or quicklube......PEOPLE DON"T CARE!!They are NOT oldschool like some of us.EOT!

JR

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
you know your right, i cant think of one person that gets there oil changed at regular intervals.
Im out on the 3 month interval. But 500 miles from the 3000 mile mark. i cant afford an oil change right now. but the week for i leave. Im doing an oil change and some other crap.
LIke my sister-in-laws boyfriends. several of them have aired there 13 inch tires up to 90psi because the tire didnt droop anymore...One brought there car into the shop i worked at...to have the oil change. I pulled the plug and nothing came out....it was all sludge...kinda like the consistency of bearing grease. Or better yet my fiancee's best friend who put anti freeze in the break fluid because the bottles looked the same. Or brake fluid in the tranny. Or her "mechanic" boyfriend forcing the wrong pads on to the caliper. Causing her to drive around with no brakes. (she sucks at driving btw).

I swear as the days go by i meet more and more STUPID people. Well car stupid...

Last edited:

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Well at least she tried to to maintain her vehicle...but her BF is a retard...I gotta brag...my GF topped off her OWN power steering fluid today....

JR

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts