Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

thermostat temp

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
im not just going off the guage. I can stick my fingers in the coolant and its luke warm. The heads arnt warm, the intake, valve covers etc. Never get hot...maybe just above the outside temps but not hot...Never dared touching the headers tho.
Its a cheap part and im just going to do it again to try and get rid of any reason for that to be the cause. Along with the reader for the temp gauge and a new radiator cap.

yup thats them hot dog grippers--tongs-we all knew what he meant-he is like me on certain days ,having a brain f**t :)

. . . . . 'biteme' . . . . .:rolling laugh:... :slap:... :rofl2: . . . . . fer here on the

West Coast it's call'd " BRAIN FADE " . . . smilietease

mr. Charles

lol Tongs?is that how you spell it?

JR

........LOLOLOL, . . . i thought those were the thing's you wear, & they go up between the . . . . .'smiliedoh' . . . . . . never mind ....:redface: ... that's spelled another way i guess . . . :wasntme:

mr. Charles

okay brain fade-I still knew what you were referring to

what does ford call for thats all im asking.

I think the one i got was faulty...or the wrong one...my coolant never seems to warm up.

my stock gauge doesnt come up above C if it moves at all

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
well in all cases if my heater worked and the needle never moved up id be fine...but it doesnt..and it was like 12 degrees the other day.
Im moving to a colder climate...and i need me heater

im not just going off the guage. I can stick my fingers in the coolant and its luke warm. The heads arnt warm, the intake, valve covers etc. Never get hot...maybe just above the outside temps but not hot...Never dared touching the headers tho.
Its a cheap part and im just going to do it again to try and get rid of any reason for that to be the cause. Along with the reader for the temp gauge and a new radiator cap.

uh the headers are not cooled by the coolant-sounds like it's stuck open-if you go to a auto parts store like advance or the like they should be able to give you the correct temp t stat :wavey:

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
i know the headers arnt cooled by coolant...

I went into oriellys 6 months back i didnt know the right temp for the truck back then and i wanna make sure they give me the right one.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
No Charles you're thinking of thongs...I had to ckeckmyself when you said that....good thing I was wearin a pair so i could strecth it up and look at the tag.....does that still count as a wedgie?

Eco, I said that most of the time t-stats fail in the closed position but it is possible they can fail in the open....

JR

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
found this on http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=9

Let’s start with a short list of stuff not to do, just to keep you from thinking about hurting your Ford. The following list contains ideas that are usually bad, unless you have a larger game plan and know what you’re doing.

•Thermostat changes under 180°
This only tricks your EEC and hurts your engine; leave this trick for the drag strip.

Your correct, run with the OEM recommended temp thermostat! If you run too cool, contaminants will build up in the oil, and you will have increased
wear. You will also use more fuel, due to the ECT sensor telling the PCM
to richen the mixture, which will also increase the contaminants in the oil.

Your correct, run with the OEM recommended temp thermostat! If you run too cool, contaminants will build up in the oil, and you will have increased
wear. You will also use more fuel, due to the ECT sensor telling the PCM
to richen the mixture, which will also increase the contaminants in the oil.

Yah, well you also think e-fans are useless and that K&N does nothing but flow more dirt and oil.

Since links are your favorite way to make a point, allow me to post a link that talks about the value of a 180* t-stat. This is the link I saw on the other site...

http://performanceunlimited.com/illustrations/thermostats.html

This is an 88 Centurion rig with a 460 that once got 8.9 mpg and 229 hp. It now gets 13+ mpg and 300 hp after the mods. There were several mods and two of them were a K&N filter and a 180* t-stat.

Feel free to peruse the whole site about this "Project MPG" truck, you might learn something.

Here is the link for you:

http://performanceunlimited.com/projectmpg/

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
nothing beats the stock filter IMO

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
True...when your enjoy demands more flow though..you gotta deliver......I've yet to try an AEM dry filter but I would like to......the K&N is supposed to hurt your MAF Meter....

JR

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
They only hurt your MAF meter if you over-oil them. And if that happens you just have to clean it. But, I'm not trying to say that's the way to go.. just making sure the truth is known. :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts