Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Starting my engine swap *Pics*

FTF'er
My truck doesn't have one..
Do you have heat only, or A/C?

I'm pretty sure this is for a 73 to 79. It looks just like the one I put a new blower motor and heater core into for my '78, and it looks like the one I took the cables and duct work from at the pick-n-pull. It has the same 3 mounting bolts through the firewall.

Here is another pic after it was pulled from the parts truck... You can see to the right of the pic the fresh air vent that bolts to the kick panel of the truck and screws to the heater box. The vent piece needs to be rotated 90* clockwise to be positioned correctly.

7-16-06006.jpg

FTF'er
You can see to the right of the pic the fresh air vent that bolts to the kick panel of the truck and screws to the heater box.
After thinking about it, this is somewhat incorrect. It is a press fit against the kick panel and screws to the heater box.

Not that it's a huge deal... I'm just trying to maintain accuracy.

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
After thinking about it, this is somewhat incorrect. It is a press fit against the kick panel and screws to the heater box.

Not that it's a huge deal... I'm just trying to maintain accuracy.

Yep, I have the same heater setup in 2 of my trucks.
The '77 that is my avatar, and the '74 that I am currently driving.

I think i thought it was wrong because it wasn't all together.

FTF'er
Yeah, I've got it stripped down in all the pics so it would be easier to work with.

FTF'er
So all you really need to do is make a block off plate for where the AC box is it...

Basically, yes.

Remove all of the A/C and heat parts you have now.

Cut panel to cover hole in firewall.

Drill 3 holes to mount the new "heat only" box to the truck.

Cut holes for the blower motor to stick through and the heater core inlet/outlet.

Mine's not done yet in the pics - I still need the hole for the blower motor and heater core connectors.

maybe someone with a heat only truck has a pic or two of what the finished product should resemble...?

FTF'er

Tex, the heat only system I'm switching to is crazy simple and dependable, and will drop 100 or so pounds from the weight of your truck.

There are no vacuum lines or heat control valve with antifreeze to leak out. No vacuum motors to quit working.

All functions of the box are controlled by two cables that connect to the heater control in the dash.

There are two flaps inside the box, one controlled by each cable. One flap determines if the air outlet is on the windshield, floor, or "off". The other flap controls the temperature. There are two paths for the air to flow through - it can go through the heater core, or through a bypass channel under the heater core. The flap will send more/less air through the heater core or bypass, then mix it back together on the other side. Example - more air through the heater core and less air through the bypass will produce a warmer air when it mixes on the other side.

The heater core and blower motor are a lot simpler to replace on this system also.

FTF'er
What did you use to cut the plate?
Plasma cutter. Smooth cuts :D I clamped a piece of flat iron to it to use as a guide so the lines would stay straight. It's 10 gauge steel (a little more than 1/8" thick) which is a little heavier than what it needs to be, but it will work.

I'm going to use something round as a guide to use the plasma cutter for cutting the hole for the motor and a hole saw for cutting the holes for the heater core tubes.

I hope to have the holes cut in a few days, I have very little time to work on stuff nowadays.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts