Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Starting my engine swap *Pics*

FTF'er

And here is the next project... it's a piece of 10 gauge steel that I'm going to cut to fill the hole in the firewall where the factory A/C box came though. This should be a lot of fun!

2-14-09019.jpg

Last summer I took the 360 out of my blue truck and replaced it with a 302. Did the same thing you are just kept it simple, I had a set of factory Mustang shorty headers that I used. After driving it for 8 month I am positive it was the right move. Don't be surprised at your milage. I have a C6 behind mine and 2 brl carb, but I get around 18 mpg you should get alittle better with the AOD :-X22 looks good keep up the good work

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!

And here is the next project... it's a piece of 10 gauge steel that I'm going to cut to fill the hole in the firewall where the factory A/C box came though. This should be a lot of fun!

2-14-09019.jpg

Are you going to be able to keep your heater?

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
pppppssshhhhh.... who needs heat? run the exaust really close to the drivers floor pan, it'll keep your feet warm all winter!

FTF'er
pppppssshhhhh.... who needs heat? run the exaust really close to the drivers floor pan, it'll keep your feet warm all winter!
I'll just run the exhaust into the cab to get the full benefit of the heat, lol.

Are you going to be able to keep your heater?
Yes, I'm putting in a "heat only" box. I need to cut this panel to fill the hole in the firewall from the a/c box, then cut some holes for the blower fan motor and heater core tubes. The wiring for the fuel injection will probably enter through a hole in this panel also.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Yes, I'm putting in a "heat only" box. I need to cut this panel to fill the hole in the firewall from the a/c box, then cut some holes for the blower fan motor and heater core tubes. The wiring for the fuel injection will probably enter through a hole in this panel also.

When you start doing this please post pics I'm wanting to do the same thing..
Thanks man :D

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
I'll just run the exhaust into the cab to get the full benefit of the heat, lol.

but then ya run all the chicks off. no one wants to smell like exaust.......ok, i do, but i dont count.smilieFordlogo

FTF'er
Don't be surprised at your milage. I have a C6 behind mine and 2 brl carb, but I get around 18 mpg you should get alittle better with the AOD
I'm hoping for at least 20 mpg. I'll be running 235/75-15 tires on stock rims with a 3.50 open rear. I may switch to a 3.73 after it get's running.

My other 302 trucks got decent mpg too...

1978 F150, 302, 3 speed manual - 19 mpg

1997 Explorer 5.0 AWD - 21.7 mpg

Awesome swap, the truck should make a great daily driver... And have some decent power as well :cooldude:

Thanks for the pics!
Thanks, I hope everything works out well with it. Although, at the rate that I'm getting things done, I may be 90 or so before it's done :rofl:

I'll try to take some pics as it progresses. Sometimes I get too involved with working and forget about pics. There is a small glitch with the panel that may take several days to work out if it becomes a problem. I'll have to cut it and see how it fits...

Nice swap you have going there. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the compliment :D

FTF'er
If you want to start collecting parts, here's what you'll need from donor trucks...

Complete heater box from under the dash. It is held in with only 3 nuts that are accessible from under the hood.

"heat only" control panel to mount in the dash.

The two cables from the heater control panel down to the heater box.

The plastic "Y" shaped duct work that goes from the heater box up to the dashboard (to blow on the windshield).

Wiring harness. I've been unable to find one, but I have all of the connectors with about 8" of wire, so I'll just make my own.

Here area few progress pics.

Initial cuts, then rounded corners, then test fitted.

I still need to drill 5 more mounting holes to secure the panel to the fire wall, then cut the holes for the blower motor and heater core.

3-01-09001.jpg

3-01-09002.jpg

3-01-09003.jpg

3-01-09004.jpg

3-01-09005.jpg

3-01-09006.jpg

3-01-09007.jpg

Maybe I didn't catch this, but why did you get rid of the A/C? I realize the old ford A/C wasn't anything to brag about, but I wish I had it for the summer.

FTF'er
I didn't want the hassle and $$$ of having custom hoses made and replacing nearly every component of the system to make it dependable for 10+ years. The A/C unit is complex with it's miles of vacuum line and many little motors. I like the simplicity and dependability of the "heat only" systems that have only 2 mechanically controlled cables for temperature and air outlet selections.

The cleaner look under the hood is nice also. :D

FTF'er

If I remember correctly, it's from a '77 parts truck that I had. I'm not sure if the styles changed at all through the years...?

I kept the metal dash from that truck also because it has no vent holes in it. It does have 2 small screw holes from where someone screwed a cb mic holder to it though. I may put a tach and trans temp gauge where the two small holes are. I'll have to dig it out of storage and see exactly where the holes are.

So far everything is just "test fit", I plan to clean and paint stuff before final assembly.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I looked at my parts mags and the 79s don't have that under the dash...
That looks like it came off a newer truck..

That does not look like any heater box on a 73-79 that ive worked on, and Ive done a few

Ford Truck Articles