Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Starting my engine swap *Pics*

So reading between the lines, it's geting a 460? lol

That lil 2.3 can scoot. btw

Edit' the Ranger needs a turbo.........

I run with scissors.

Naw, the '79 is going to keep the 302 since it's already there and I've given up on the 460.

I'd like to put a 5.0 HO from a Mustang in the Ranger... but I've never read anything about the turbo 2.3 deal. I'm on a couple Ranger forums now, so I guess it's time to start reading... maybe I'll end up with a turbo instead of a 5.0? I like the sounds of it... smiliepeelout

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!

Naw, the '79 is going to keep the 302 since it's already there and I've given up on the 460.

I'd like to put a 5.0 HO from a Mustang in the Ranger... but I've never read anything about the turbo 2.3 deal. I'm on a couple Ranger forums now, so I guess it's time to start reading... maybe I'll end up with a turbo instead of a 5.0? I like the sounds of it... smiliepeelout

I got a awesome 460! i'll trade ya :D

I run with scissors.

Nope, it's a long bed.

It could be a short bed though... (In an attempt to be somewhat comical, I was going to insert some of the cutting and welding smilies here, but it appears as though we don't have any, so you'll have to use your imagination).

I run with scissors.
There was a short bed for sale a few months ago near where I work at. It needed some work, but was in fairly good condition. I don't care much for the late 70's shortbeds, I think it's something to do with the rear axle placement... it seems too much forward.

1977 EXPLORER

Tennesee Chapter Member
Im doing a similar swap in a 74 mav but im using a FI truck 5.0 lol

FTF'er

Alright, I went to the junkyard today and got some parts for my swap. Everything was only $30. The JY had only 2 dentsides left in it when they usually have a couple dozen! I didn't get any dentside parts, but I did get some stuff for the swap. I also picked up some parts for my Ranger and some stuff stuff for my Dad and brother, which was included in the $30 I spent, but not pictured.

A brief description of the parts is above each pic...

Here's my electric fan I plan to use, shown sitting on my '79 351M radiator. The tabs on the right are actually almost right above the end of the radiator... the camera angle makes them look way too wide, but it will fit almost perfectly. It's a 2 speed fan. I hope this deal works fine.

1-11-09006.jpg

And here are the factory fan relays and fuse with a crimped terminal end for the power coming in. The factory connectors to plug into the fans are also on the relays. This makes it almost a plug-n-play. I don't have the switching figured out yet...

1-11-09011.jpg

Here are some spare fan relays, and EEC relay, and also a relay and harness to use for my oxygen sensor heater circuit.

1-11-09012.jpg

On my engine there are two steel tubes that run from the water pump and the intake manifold to the back of the engine. Only 1 of these will be use depending on which one fits the best. I wanted to eliminate the steel tubes, so I found these things that will connect to a heater hose and still allow the use of an engine coolant temp sensor in the factory location.

1-11-09010.jpg

And here is a gas pedal from a newer F150. I need this pedal to use the cable linkage on my new engine. Also pictured are some brackets to mount my power distribution box and a canister purge valve and solenoid for my Ranger.

1-11-09013.jpg

FTF'er

Here are the two metal tubes I need to take off the engine. They run along the intake manifold to the rear of the engine... but they are too close to the firewall to put heater hoses on them.

1-11-09009.jpg

1-11-09015.jpg

FTF'er

And here's the power distribution box I'm going to use. It has a ring terminal that connects to the starter solenoid (battery) and provides to power to the EEC, all of the injectors and engine sensors, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, inertia switch, and whatever else I need it to do.

1-11-09014.jpg

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Wow man very nice i'm keeping track of all this, I starting to think I want to do this instead of buying a crate engine..

FTF'er

Ok, it took only a month to mount the fan, but I like how it has turned out so far. I still need to make some type of trim for the driver side to seal the small gap. I'm thinking some 1"x2" angle will work well.

2-14-09010.jpg

2-14-09011.jpg

2-14-09012.jpg

2-14-09014.jpg

FTF'er

Here are some pics of various things I've found for mounting sending units. I'm still undecided on which I'm going to use.

2-14-09016.jpg

2-07-09.jpg

2-14-09018.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts