Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Spray on VS Roll on bed liner

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
If you have any woodworking skills take a 1x4 board rip it in to a 1/2 x4 cut out the paddles and sand them to shape on a belt sander. Takes 15 minutes to make a pile of paddles.
Make sure you order flux when you order the lead.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
well then, I think I will go ahead and order them. Thanks smokey, I would have never considered leading, but it seems not only logical, but economical as well. Of course, while I say that, it may take me a pound of lead to fill 1 pin hole until I get some experience under my belt.

well then, I think I will go ahead and order them. Thanks smokey, I would have never considered leading, but it seems not only logical, but economical as well. Of course, while I say that, it may take me a pound of lead to fill 1 pin hole until I get some experience under my belt.

Do a video of it. Or at least pictures.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
It really isn't hard to do at all. for floor panels it should be easy peasy. Filling trim holes on a quarter panel still on the car is a bit harder to master but not by much. Using lead you don't get the "dimples" that putty creates when filling imperfections.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
should I order that stuff (cannot remember the name of it) that I stick my paddle in first that keeps the lead from sticking to the paddles?

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Hey Smokey, check this out and see if this could be used for leading. I e-mailed the seller asking for a 70/30 lead to tin mix and he responded with the following
"i sell to alot of sleders and that is the comman mix i have some who use 75/25.well sell both kinds or we cam mix them for you. we mix with pure tin and pure virgin lead.body solder is cheaper here then if you look for it made on ebay i hope i helped thanks brian/tina"

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-LBS-PURE-SOF...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255c6fd160

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Thanks for the link. I may have to contact them. A friend and I make our own fishing weights so that may work for that.
I prefer the eastwood lead-free solder it works better in many ways that the lead type.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Thanks for the link. I may have to contact them. A friend and I make our own fishing weights so that may work for that.
I prefer the eastwood lead-free solder it works better in many ways that the lead type.

So you used lead-free solder for leading on vehicles? I thought you recommended 70/30 lead/tin

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I use both actually but the lead free is easier to learn with. The flow isn't as fast with the lead free making it easier to work with.
Kinda hard to find any that isn't lead free these days really.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
I use both actually but the lead free is easier to learn with. The flow isn't as fast with the lead free making it easier to work with.
Kinda hard to find any that isn't lead free these days really.

If it is lead free than what is it actually made of?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts