Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Project Cheap Bastard: LEB 70 460

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks guys...can't wait til it's done. Pretty stoked to see what it will actually be able to do. A lot of planning to make everything work with my cheapass budget.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
More tear down today. Still can't get over how clean this thing is after sitting for over a decade.

image426.jpg

image428.jpg

image430.jpg

Can still see factory cross hatching...
image427.jpg

And this will be sitting on top...
image431.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Under discussion. Some of these heads have come with valve guides others don't...don't know the rhyme or reason. Considering going with guides...but in the true essence of the cheap bastard build, not sure. Have a couple days to figure it out.

Under discussion. Some of these heads have come with valve guides others don't...don't know the rhyme or reason. Considering going with guides...but in the true essence of the cheap bastard build, not sure. Have a couple days to figure it out.

Ah,giving the cleaningness of the engine,maybe valves arent sloppy.
maybe just need new seals...:)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Block is in full torque n' teal color. Cylinders were honed. But I am going to need cam bearings.

image434.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Haha...cam bearings were gonna get done...was just saying it needs them. If Kris tells me something won't allow me to drive it across the country, I'll cough up the cash, otherwise it's good enough for now. This is going in the Bronco and as long as I can hit the trail and the drive thru...I'm happy. It's not their typically build, usually they don't do a 'junkyard build' like this. I'm being a terribly tight bastard. Today I got about 80 texts confirming I didn't want to take 30 thou from the cylinders. Told him if a hone would do it, that's all I was paying for. A few years from now when 450hp/525tq isn't cutting it anymore, I'll go all out, but for now this is all I need. Doubt he'll ever build for me again...haha.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Realistically though...only thing not being touched is the rotating assembly...but even Kris said it looked like it had 6k on it, not 60.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
About $50/cyl plus another $3-400 in stock cast Pistons. So another $800 minimum. And it just flat out doesn't need it...would have just been a little peace of mind.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
And honestly...I was seriously considering it, but then I figured if I'm going Pistons anyway...may as well do something fun, like flat tops, but then that caused more compression issues. Well some sorta relief, what's that do to the cam. Plus any added premium. If I'm going Pistons, why not grind the crank...well if I'm touching the crank, why not just snag a stroker. Then what about rods. So $800 quickly turned in to another $2500. So just reverted back to the original plan... And stuck to it...no bottom end work.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Things and stuff...

An egg shaped SnapOn sword or something...
image435.jpg

More pink...YAAAAAY...
image436.jpg

The color matching Teflon tape was supposedly 'missing'...
image440.jpg

Not sure what these thingies do...but they're pretty
image437.jpg

Told him it didn't get that cold here...but he insisted on plugging the engine up and keeping the cold out.
image438.jpg

Getting suspicious that I'm just buying SnapOn tools...
image439.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I've seen about 8 different oil filters on that think...no idea why he keeps swapping.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts