Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pop in my front end

Just some advice for when you replace your tie-rod ends. If your having a hard time getting the old tie rod to thread off the sleeve, hit it with some PB blaster and let it soak for 10 minutes. If that doesn't help then break out a torch and heat the sleeve up. I've had nightmares on econoline vans when it came to replacing tie-rod ends on their front ends because the old rod wouldn't thread off the sleeve. In either case I hope you don't have that bad of luck. Just remember to lubricate the sleeves before putting the new tie rod end on so it won't be a pain for the person aligning it to set the toe!

Well now y'all did it :headbang:

Just got back from Kragen-- had them price match and order the tie rod ends for me :headbang: All Moog parts plus a can of seafoam on sale for $6.50 cost me $261.53 :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Guess I can't complain. The guy at the counter just about had a heart attack when he went to price match and saw that rockauto's prices were half of Kragens :rofl:

Oh well-- I got paid today so that's what made me feel a bit better about the purchase. Parts come Friday so I plan on doing the job this weekend. Stay tuned ;)

Lol. You need help with the project or are you good?

Seafoam is great stuff, I just ran some thru my mustang and it runs great.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Lol. You need help with the project or are you good?

Seafoam is great stuff, I just ran some thru my mustang and it runs great.
I'd love some help. Unfortunately all my heavy tools are up at my mom's place so that's where I'll be this weekend. Wanna come up Saturday?! :rofl:

I'm also going to be removing and inspecting my power steering pump this weekend. Gotta find out where it's leaking and FIX IT! (anyone see that SNL skit?)

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Just some advice for when you replace your tie-rod ends. If your having a hard time getting the old tie rod to thread off the sleeve, hit it with some PB blaster and let it soak for 10 minutes. If that doesn't help then break out a torch and heat the sleeve up. I've had nightmares on econoline vans when it came to replacing tie-rod ends on their front ends because the old rod wouldn't thread off the sleeve. In either case I hope you don't have that bad of luck. Just remember to lubricate the sleeves before putting the new tie rod end on so it won't be a pain for the person aligning it to set the toe!
Thanks buddy I'll keep that in mind.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
...Also while we're semi on this subject smiliehijacked

http://www.troublecodes.net/articles/ford/ford_trucks.shtml

Who else has tried this besides me? I did it a few weeks ago and it help stop the snap/pop almost all together for about 3 days and then it came back with vengeance. Everything is still tight but it's worse than ever now...
Just tried that the other day before I made this thread. My first post was referencing that exact page you linked to:

Skandocious said:
Then someone showed me a TSB from Ford that described a creak like mine-- said it can be caused by a build up of tension in the trans crossmember. Fix is to loose the crossmember and jack it up and down, then bolt it back up. So I did that today-- still creaks.

Didn't help for me--- but I also didn't follow the directions :rofl: I was down the street at my buddy's shop when I decided to do it, so I tried to do it from memory. Just loosened the crossmember, moved the jack around a bit and bolted it back up. Didn't help at all :rofl:

I'm just mad that it came back within a couple of days is all. Then again I can't find the specific TSB this guy is referring to in his tech article. If I can find the number I can probably read it myself and see if it matches up to what he's got in his article.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'm just mad that it came back within a couple of days is all. Then again I can't find the specific TSB this guy is referring to in his tech article. If I can find the number I can probably read it myself and see if it matches up to what he's got in his article.
Im interested to know too. Lemme know if you find anything.

I'd love some help. Unfortunately all my heavy tools are up at my mom's place so that's where I'll be this weekend. Wanna come up Saturday?! :rofl:

I'm also going to be removing and inspecting my power steering pump this weekend. Gotta find out where it's leaking and FIX IT! (anyone see that SNL skit?)

I would come up, but I am afraid I have no way to. Damn I need to get my license.... :p

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but getting an alignment afterwards is a good idea.
I changed mine and put everything back thread count for thread count and didn't think I needed an alignment until I got on the freeway in the rain. My truck was all over the road. Scared crap out of me for sure.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but getting an alignment afterwards is a good idea.
I changed mine and put everything back thread count for thread count and didn't think I needed an alignment until I got on the freeway in the rain. My truck was all over the road. Scared crap out of me for sure.
Yeah I plan on getting it aligned.

Y'all got the tools I need for doing tie rod ends over there? :)

No, my dad had a shop do it last year because his tires were wearing fast. I wish I did man. That way you wouldnt have to drive far. What tools would you need specifically?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
To be honest I'm not really sure... I've never done it and I just planned on wingin' it. The guys said I'll need a pickle fork (not sure why) and a BFH.

I know that is what they are called, but how did they get the name "pickle fork"? I never have figured that one out. :scratch:

I have had a Craftsman 4 lb. cross pein hammer for years. I kept it in my toolbox when I worked in the steel fabrication shop. Now it is at home...in my toolbox.

Looks like this, but with a 15" hickory handle:

crosspeinhammer.jpg

The cross pein is great for forming steel. Blacksmiths use that type of hammer a lot. It is heavy enough for you daily "beating on something that is stuck" needs. :hammer:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts