Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pop in my front end

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yup, same bracket-- different setup. Looks like yours had an adjustable sliding channel. Mine doesn't have that-- 2 separate holes instead, as you can see form the pics.

That's why I was confused, lol.

RocketScience

Alleged Recruiter
Yup, same bracket-- different setup. Looks like yours had an adjustable sliding channel. Mine doesn't have that-- 2 separate holes instead, as you can see form the pics.

That's why I was confused, lol.
Well, I guess if your bolts are good and tight and the holes they pass through are not worn/oblong, you're back to where you were.......sorry. :D

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Dude tie rods are super easy to do. Count them off, count them on. You will end up in the ball park you were in before you started. There are only so many bushings in the front end. Change them all lol. If that dont help well i donno.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Having done some suspension work on my truck last week...I have one suggestion:

a606ad95-9413-42d4-8ee5-1ceceb12ff75_4.jpg

I'd have given my eyeteeth for one of these at a couple of points...

Michigan
HAHAHAAH! nice..

I suggest picking up a pickle fork. ;)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yeah...I bought one of those, halfway through the job. (Living within walking distance of Napa is sweet.)

But beating it with a 16 oz claw hammer was still a pain. And with a drilling hammer I might not have needed it...

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Yall are doing this all wrong they make one that locks on and you tighten a screw and it pops loose.

55580620.jpg

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
But I got to hit my truck with a hammer all afternoon. :D

And then when I put it back together, spend half an hour lying on my back filing off the burr I made hitting it in the wrong spot, so that I could put the caliper bracket back on. :(

EDIT- I actually didn't have any trouble with the tie-rod end. Just hit it* with a hammer and that was it.

*Disclaimer: hitting threaded things with hammers takes skill. Skill that is usually only acquired after doing it wrong once or twice.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
This is probably what I would be using.

Cheap ones will slip but take your time. You sometimes need to tap the socket with a hammer though.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Usually a few good wacks with the hammer brakes em lose. I have had to use a full size sledge on some newer SD ball joints at work. But most steering parts come off nice. You really only need the pulled for the drop pitman, and idler if yours has it.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Where's your big hammer pic Ryan? You know, the one of you working on your truck.

you know your a redneck if....

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well now y'all did it :headbang:

Just got back from Kragen-- had them price match and order the tie rod ends for me :headbang: All Moog parts plus a can of seafoam on sale for $6.50 cost me $261.53 :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Guess I can't complain. The guy at the counter just about had a heart attack when he went to price match and saw that rockauto's prices were half of Kragens :rofl:

Oh well-- I got paid today so that's what made me feel a bit better about the purchase. Parts come Friday so I plan on doing the job this weekend. Stay tuned ;)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts