Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

no good ford v8's?

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
its not a cleveland

i see 351m's and 400's advertised on craigslist as windsors and clevelands all the time

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Whats the difference in a Winni and a Mod? its just heads right?

Nope. Windsor is a 302 block. The M is a bastard basically. Kinda a grown up cleveland of sorts. Has a 460 bellhousing.

Id like to sell the 429 for the right money. But shipping it from wv to wa might get pricey

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Yes it might, anyone know is fed ex or ups has a shipping cost calculator online?

The 400 was built before the 351M

The original 1972 400 was a great engine .

They de-stroked (351M) it and made it available in light trucks in 1977.

The 77 400 put out 160 HP
The 77 351M put out 148 HP
Both had lousy TQ ratings too

The 400 can be done up to make 600 HP with nominal cost.

Check out this site for engine info.

http://www.boxwrench.net/specs_index.htm

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
A 400 crank in a 351m does wonders for torque

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Ford not have any good engines???

First and foremost (IMHO)
300-6

Then
Windsor Series
FE Series (not the best in stock form but with a few mods :D )
Clieveland
Then the big brute 429/460...

All IMHO of cours

Ford not have any good engines???

First and foremost (IMHO)
300-6

Then
Windsor Series
FE Series (not the best in stock form but with a few mods :D )
Clieveland
Then the big brute 429/460...

All IMHO of cours

I would completely agree with that.

The DOHC Modulars are pretty cool too, I love the Mk.VIII/Continental/Mach1 Mustang. And the new 6.2 Is a beast.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
No eric...

you just CANT BEAT a 350 SBC!

:hammer: :bs:

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Conner, I'm thinking cheap to work on/mod, the new engines take big $$$ to aquire as well as maintain...

Scott, I can beat one; give me that 30lb sledge and I'll beat the hell out of it...

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Im not a big fan of modular engines

i love me some pushrods

Conner, I'm thinking cheap to work on/mod, the new engines take big $$$ to aquire as well as maintain...

Scott, I can beat one; give me that 30lb sledge and I'll beat the hell out of it...

Yup, I said I completely agree with your list, and the modulars are slowly working there way up. They are growing on me.

friend of mine is building a dentside and he has a 327 chev with a 700R4 tranny,the bought the truck as a basket case and is slowly putting it together with what he has,the sbc fits nice,the indent into the firewall for the 300 is a perfect fit and he bought a set of headman headers that are made for that application,but it doesn't matter how well it fits,or works,its just not right.I was always a pretty big fan of the roller 302,tough little engine to beat,can be bought relativly cheap from a smashed mustang and easily converted to carb.

chuck101st

Springfield XD-9
Downs,IL.
I had a 70 Mach 1 with a 351 cleveland. I loved that engine more than any I've ever had!! I had a 79 Bronc with a 351M that rattled when I bought it. I dropped the pan threw some bearrings in it and ran it for a couple more years until it started burning enough oil I couldn't keep the plugs from fouling. And a 76 Lincoln Mark? with a 460 that I got so hot it wouldn't shut off. Went out the next morning put on a new rad. hose filled her up and never had another problem. Ford engines ROCK!!!:nana:

Oh!! by the way, all yous guys with the Ford motors must have some really long extention cords!!smilietease

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles