Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

no good ford v8's?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
1970 429 CJ in Mil1ion's 78.

theres no replacement for displacement i say! i have had them all 302 360 390
400 460 and my all time favorite my 501 and havent had a problem with any of them only sissys wear bow ties any ways and real men drive fords

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Yeah a 350 would work if you want to make 200 horseys AFTER longtubes, a Edelbrock high rise, 750 CFM carb and an RV cam...
why do you think every chevy for sale already has a cam and longtubes, or else is a 383 build? because 350's bring the suck

we built a 350 into a 383 and ran it in a 77/78 camaro pro stocker...yeah it made 950 hp BUT it cost Pat 12 grand to do it!

The point is, the only Ford V8s that get chit are the Midland blocks, which in stock form are just fine, you dont encounter the issues until the topic of forced induction comes in...but throw a 400 crank in a 351m, add some long tubes and an RV cam and it'l outrun a 383 stroker any day.

what other ford v8s have you heard bad things about?
You already eliminated the Windsor family (289,302,351w) so they cant be it

Surely not the FE family (360/390) which are the stoutest engines ever built IMO

The 429/460's ? Yeah if stump pulling torque and tranny killing top end power aint your thing i guess you would say they suck

maybe he was dissing the 335 Cleveland 351/400? Also bitchin' engines.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
maybe he was dissing the 335 Cleveland 351/400? Also bitchin' engines.

Pretty all the Ford engines are, the 351 is a awesome platform to build a great engine you can stroke it out and make monster power.
Or get a BBF and mildly mod it some and make monster power its just up to you..

Pretty all the Ford engines are, the 351 is a awesome platform to build a great engine you can stroke it out and make monster power.
Or get a BBF and mildly mod it some and make monster power its just up to you..

Yup, Windsor and Cleveland are both very good engine designs. :)

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I got idk if its a 351m or a 400 in my truck its missing the sticker on the valve cover. But my motor has absolutely no power runs good though maybe time for a 460 i was told the motor thats in it now was a clevland by previous owner but idk.

Well a stock 351 or 400 wont really have gobs of power, have you done a comp check? vac leaks or even a outta turn carb will kill power..

Ford Truck Articles