Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Lowering on the Cheap

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Yeah bad part is I am too far to come for a visit. That still might happen.

If you drop the front Cliff you will need this to pull your caster back in line - this style of thing worked great for me when i had to adjust my front end to allow for driving on the other side of the road out here

Moog_K80108_lg.png

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MOOG-K80108

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
So you want to drop your truck Cliff :)that's Great!! To keep everything safe I would highly recommend getting a proper kit. The only time you hear of bad handling is when people start cutting springs and such. Don't forget that dropping the factory height will affect the shocks if you go more than 2 inches. It's better to save for a bit and get a system you will enjoy, rather than ruining the ride you have now! I've used BellTech for a 4/6 drop (not on OldOrange,lol) but there are others that the cost is a little less.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Hi Cliff, I wouldn't try, those springs are for a completely different weight of vehicle, and I'm sure the coil diameter is smaller. Are you wanting a 3/5 drop? If you check around, you should be able to buy a used drop for your truck. There's a lot of times guys end up being tired of the lowered stance and loss of usability and are selling the suspension drops for half the price of new!! Your truck will look sweet with a mild drop :)

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
That is part of the problem here. Used lowering kits are mainly on mini trucks here. Full size trucks are either farm use or raised, or worse a Chevy. :headbang:

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I plan to some how. I just have to figure a way other than cutting a coil.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Some say yes some say no according to the reviews. Personally I would look for lowering springs or a kit, but I know you are looking for a cheap alternative and that is cheap. So I guess you could take a shot and see. I guess it is better than cutting and ruining a coil spring unless you can get some coils cheap from the junkyard and cut up another set.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Some say yes some say no according to the reviews. Personally I would look for lowering springs or a kit, but I know you are looking for a cheap alternative and that is cheap. So I guess you could take a shot and see. I guess it is better than cutting and ruining a coil spring unless you can get some coils cheap from the junkyard and cut up another set.

Now that is a good idea about the coils from the junkyard. Just about all I want lots of 80-96 at the wreckers.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts