Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

just bought a 94 f150

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Sounds exactly like my old squeak. Would happen after cold start. Not sure how many times I have to say it but a Gatorback belt will fix your problem.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
im nt wantin to go out and buy another belt after i just bought 1..if its not the belt imma b perty p.o.'d ....is there a way the belt tensioner could be too loose? can i tighten it?....

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i know it has an auto tensioner but can you tightn it any?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
No its on a spring-- not adjustable.

I'm telling you right now that if it's the same squeak as my truck you're not going to solve the problem with ANYTHING unless you get a Gatorback. I threw tons of parts at mine refusing to believe it was the belt (like you)... Bought a brand new Motorcraft tensioner, replaced my idler pulley, went through 3-4 belts (kept exchanging them for new ones), and a couple other things I don't recall. Finally someone on the other site told me to get a Gatorback so I did-- problem never came back.

See if you can't return or exchange that Motorcraft belt for a Gatorback. If yours is squeaking only on cold start that sounds EXACTLY like what mine was doing.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i got my motocraft at oreilys and autozone is the only place around that carrys em ill prolly try to return it after i get a gatorback....ill take your word for it...im just a skeptical person when it comes to some things.....do you know what makes the gatorback so special/ squeek resistant?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well I don't want you to go out and buy a belt on my word so you can come back and yell at me if it doesn't work. I'm just telling you that your experience is exactly like mine was and the Gatorback fixed it.

As for the design-- the ridges on the underside of the belt have horizontal gaps cut into them so that when the belt wraps around a pulley the ridges don't compress together, but rather they just close the gaps. You can imagine that as the belt makes a sharp turn around the pulley, the outer side of the belt gets slightly stretched out and the inner side (with the ridges) gets compressed together. That rubber has nowhere to go so it will distort the belt JUST enough to cause a squeak.

How did my truck get to the point where it will ONLY tolerate a Gatorback belt? I have no friggin clue... But it did.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
okay i understand the logic now...the only reason i was skeptical is because i wasnt to sure if the belt was wat it was cracked up to be...we all know sometimes you just pay for a name now that i understand it better ill giv it a shot n let yall know what happens

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i plan to go get the belt later this week once i get payed ...i gotta hav the cash for gas and i gotta get new tires for the 94 tomorro smiliepeelout so itll b a couple days before i can giv this gatorback a whirl.......hopefully my bar of soap will last till friday :p

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i love the caouple days before you go to get new tires.....you get to tear the pavement apart w ur old ones on your way to get new ones

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
i love the caouple days before you go to get new tires.....you get to tear the pavement apart w ur old ones on your way to get new ones

HAHAHA...take vids and pics. The only time I hate buying tires is when you're forking over $1200 for something that you'll have to buy again...once you get over that hurt...time to party...haha.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dont buy boggers then.

What fun would that be??????? For the record, the Boggers are 1300, the SSR's are 1200 and the BFG MT's, well I got them new for a steal at $400.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
im gettin good year wrangler a/t's liike i put on the 84...they get a lil of the good from both worlds....they have a good offroad grip and dont sing too much on the road...i like em n they aint bad for 10 plys at 600 for a set of 4.....and ill b sure to take plent of pics n vids...i need to do it w the 84....i hav a vid taken in july of me spinnin em in the 84 at a redlight....you couldnt see my tailgate...i need to find that memory card

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts