Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

just bought a 94 f150

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
That's not entirely accurate Chris...chips can also tweak transmission shift points, line pressures, eliminate smog and numerous other things. Don't expect to find a programmer or anything else for your new ride. It's not gonna happen. Good lookin truck and glad you got it. Check the belt like everyone's been sayin. You want more power outta that 5.0? we'll give ya more. Underdrive pulley set for it for one. And like everything else, it's gotta breathe. Open the intake with a homemade Cold air kit or buy one and open up the exhaust too. Try and eliminate a cat too. Eliminating both is gonna be difficult because of the forward cat's design.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
gotcha im more of a person to attack it w a wrench rather than a computer...but im just oldskool like that.....and id rather work on er in auto cuz there r no labor fees and i have all the equipment and tools n diagnostic software constantly organized for just about anything ever at my fingertips for free.... heck i brought my grandpas ranger in and tuned er up n aligned the tires for free ...we only charge for parts

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
gotcha im more of a person to attack it w a wrench rather than a computer...but im just oldskool like that.....and id rather work on er in auto cuz there r no labor fees and i have all the equipment and tools n diagnostic software constantly organized for just about anything ever at my fingertips for free.... heck i brought my grandpas ranger in and tuned er up n aligned the tires for free ...we only charge for parts

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
srry didnt mean to post twice

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
the exhaust is fine it has shorties w 3'' duals and glass packs w dump tips and no cats so it has a decent exhaust.....i plan on gettin a k&n intake kit for it......a engine is similar to a big *** air pump the faster you can get air in and out the better it runs...hence turbos n superchrgrs

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
HOLY CRAP...3" duals on a stock 302, definitely losing some power there. Should be something in the 2" range. As for the K&N CIA...don't waste your money...all it does is suck hot air in from the engine compartment.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
HOLY CRAP...3" duals on a stock 302, definitely losing some power there. Should be something in the 2" range. As for the K&N CIA...don't waste your money...all it does is suck hot air in from the engine compartment.
x2 on everything he said. Exhaust is way too big for that stock engine and k&ns are a waste of money. Prev owner of my truck had a "cai" (notice the quotes) and I repalced it with a stock airbox and duct and i noticed a bug power gain.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ps, I've still got the k&n laying around. You can have it for the price of shipping. Retail was like $100-200 so that just goes to show how much I think of it. WASTE OF MONEY!

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I wish Mr M still had his photobucket gallery. he's got a kickass setup for the air intake. I'll research what some other guys are doing because quite a few relocate the washer fluid reservoir and form a sheetmetal wall around the filter so the air is drawn in from the front of the engine.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I wish Mr M still had his photobucket gallery. he's got a kickass setup for the air intake. I'll research what some other guys are doing because quite a few relocate the washer fluid reservoir and form a sheetmetal wall around the filter so the air is drawn in from the front of the engine.
That was my original plan-- Mike's setup was sick. Then I found out about how K&N filters flow way too much particulate. The increased flow is possible because it filters less. There was a big discussion a while back about how the stock paper filter is rated to flow more air than a stock engine even needs, so even with some lighter power mods that require increase flow, the paper filter will still do great. It's only when you start getting into SERIOUS mods (read forced induction) that you might start needing to look into higher flowing filters.

On a nearly stock engine, you're only hurting it by putting on a free-er flowing filter.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^trufcicles

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I've hard about Dryflow filters but it makes me a bit nervous. For it to flow more it must be more porous than stock. K&N tries to compensate for this by using an oil to trap the particulate but with a dry filter you don't have that extra line of defense.

This is just common sense talking. I have nothing else to back it up.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
the pies are either 2.75 or 3'' i havent actually measured them but from a glance thats the size im guessin

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
the pies are either 2.75 or 3'' i havent actually measured them but from a glance thats the size im guessin

When you say pipes...are you just talking about the tips (which I could understand) or are you talking about the exhaust pipe from the manifold all the way out being that big...cuz that's just ridiculous.

On edit...

To me, in this pic, that pipe looks nowhere near 3"...maybe maybe maybe 2.25" (also noticed no tips either, so my previous statement is moot):

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts