Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How to get doorpanel off '78 Bronco?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
They also help to keep moisture (rain, car wash) off the cone as well....lots of water can trickle down there...it's cheap insurance!.

Didn't even think of that... still don't think I'm gonna get any though. :beer:

I respect your opinion though, and am glad you told me about them.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks..and no sweat...hope you install goes well! YelloThumbUp

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Thanks..and no sweat...hope you install goes well! YelloThumbUp

Thanks, and I hope it does too.. I don't think it will be that bad though. Already have one side took apart, just gotta put the new speaker in, put the door panel back on...and repeat on the other side. smilieeatndrink

Blade

Backwoods boy
Glad to hear ya got it off. Im thinkin bout takin the door pannel off of my passenger side so i can work on the window in my ranger

Blade

Backwoods boy
As far as i know mine have never been off. I also found out that my casette player dont work. But i never use it so i dont need it :p

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
update, just cause it's almost 2am, and I have nothing better to do...

Got both speakers installed the other day, and door panels put back on. Had a little issue when putting the passenger door handle back on, and it stripped out... nothing a tap set won't fix. I have wanted to buy a set anyway, now I have a good reason.

Drivers side speaker doesn't have power going to it either, no idea why... took the radio out and it's still connected there and the wire appears to be in pretty good shape, so I don't know whats going on there.. ended up just splicing it into the passenger side speaker wire. smilieeatndrink

update, just cause it's almost 2am, and I have nothing better to do...

Got both speakers installed the other day, and door panels put back on. Had a little issue when putting the passenger door handle back on, and it stripped out... nothing a tap set won't fix. I have wanted to buy a set anyway, now I have a good reason.

Drivers side speaker doesn't have power going to it either, no idea why... took the radio out and it's still connected there and the wire appears to be in pretty good shape, so I don't know whats going on there.. ended up just splicing it into the passenger side speaker wire. smilieeatndrink

Wait, your running two speakers off a one wire, that can't be good.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Ehh, it won't hurt... it won't pull anymore current then the radio will put out, so it won't burn the wires up or anything, I don't believe...?

It will possibly fry your radio from too low an impedance.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
impedance.....resistance of your speakers....if you have two 8 ohm speakers connected in parallel...it will read 4 ohms...if you take two 4 ohm speakers and connect them in parallel, there will be 2 ohms. The lower the impedance, the more power the output device in your amp will try to deliver....then it overheats and fries itself.
So, depending on what impedance your speakers are and what your radio is designed for, you could have a problem.

Edit....techno time....impedance is a vector quantity as there is both inductance and resistance involved....the voltage and current are out of phase...any magnetic circuit has this property...now back to your regular scheduled programming...:D

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
impedance.....resistance of your speakers....if you have two 8 ohm speakers connected in parallel...it will read 4 ohms...if you take two 4 ohm speakers and connect them in parallel, there will be 2 ohms. The lower the impedance, the more power the output device in your amp will try to deliver....then it overheats and fries itself.
So, depending on what impedance your speakers are and what your radio is designed for, you could have a problem.

Oh, ok... that makes sense.

I would hate to fry my radio, but I really don't know how else to run both speakers. I checked the wires and they appear to be good..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Ok...from what you have said, it sounds like either the left or right channel is fried in the amp. What you can do is to put the speakers in series...this will result in a lower overall output from your radio, but will be safe and not blow the remaining channel. What you need to do is to locate the 2 speaker wires and determine the polarity...(+ and -). You can do this by either looking at the markings on the speakers or by using a 1.5 Volt battery....if you use a battery, you just simply connect it to the speaker for a second and see which way the cone moves....when it moves out (towards you) that is the +.
Then to connect the speakers in series, you take the + from one speaker and the - from the other and connect them together....then you are left with just one + and one - which you connect to your radio.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Ok, when I get a chance I'll change it like that.

Right now I just cut the wire going to the passenger side speaker, tied (+) to (+) and (-) to (-), on the speakers, and tied those into the (
+) and (-) wires coming from the radio.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Ok, when I get a chance I'll change it like that.

Right now I just cut the wire going to the passenger side speaker, tied (+) to (+) and (-) to (-), on the speakers, and tied those into the (
+) and (-) wires coming from the radio.

That would be a parallel connection and could cause you problems....without knowing specifics, I can't tell you 100% for sure...but the series connection will be safe.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts