Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How to get doorpanel off '78 Bronco?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I couldn't seem to see one listed at HF, I just assumed they would carry a generic or there own brand.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I still can't get the door panel off, guess I'm gonna have to look into one of them tools. I tried prying it off with screw drivers, and even yanked on it (pretty hard) with my hands, and it didn't budge. :headbang:

Did get my air horn installed today though... so I accomplished a little bit.

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
Just be careful, on the 78 F-150 I had back in the day, some of the plastic slots for the metal clips were broken. It's pretty easy getting the panel off, and you don't have to have the tool, but I also have worked at a interior shop for a while and know short cuts on my vehicles, The tool does make it a lot easier, just make sure you get it around the clip otherwise you aren't getting anywhere. Now, getting them in is easier, line up and hit the panel in the spot with the clip with the palm of your hand.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Sure ya got all the screws out?

90% sure.

Took the two screws out of the hand hold thing, one out of the door latch handle, and one out of the window crank. (and removed both of those things). Is that all of them?

Just be careful, on the 78 F-150 I had back in the day, some of the plastic slots for the metal clips were broken. It's pretty easy getting the panel off, and you don't have to have the tool, but I also have worked at a interior shop for a while and know short cuts on my vehicles, The tool does make it a lot easier, just make sure you get it around the clip otherwise you aren't getting anywhere. Now, getting them in is easier, line up and hit the panel in the spot with the clip with the palm of your hand.

I'm pretty sure a few of them are broken on this thing too, I can pull one side away from the door (quiet a bit, probly a couple inches) but ain't making a bit of progress on the other side.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Should be it but id check the panel itself and see if somebodys drilled screws through it into the door metal. Thats what Ive done in the past when them stupid clips break off.

There is handy little tool for removing the door panels, only $5-$10 and puts equal pressure on both side of the clip...less chance of damage with this.

http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=569

^x2

The tool's worth it if you care about taking it off w/o breakage. If not, take an ol' flathead to the clip locations and pry. To install: self tapping screws strategically placed ;)

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Should be it but id check the panel itself and see if somebodys drilled screws through it into the door metal. Thats what Ive done in the past when them stupid clips break off.

Dad bought it new and owned it until '02, and he didn't say anything about putting any through it.

and I'm almost positive the other guy who owned it didn't have the door panels off..

^x2

The tool's worth it if you care about taking it off w/o breakage. If not, take an ol' flathead to the clip locations and pry. To install: self tapping screws strategically placed ;)

I'm gonna be in town tommorrow, I'll probably just run by the parts store and see if they have one of them things.. I don't wanna break it if I don't have too.

Might as well grab some aftermarket door clips too cause you're gonna be breaking some what with that thing being so hard to pry off...

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
I do know my 78 was pretty easy on the clips, but just be careful, and if you need, you can repair the slots with some plastic repair stuff, if you want the clips that is, just make sure not to make the clip part of the panel, you still want it to have the original shaped hole so there is adjustment.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I got the panel off in less than five minutes, using that tool...and only broke one clip. Ok, so I broke the plastic on the panel and not the clip itself, but it's only one,so i'm not worried about it. Found out about three or four where already broke though... so guess I'm gonna go try to find some clips tommorrow.

Got my new speakers tonight... probably try to get them installed tommorrow. smilieeatndrink

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Glad you finally got the door panel off. After you're done with your speakers and whatnot, you wanna come do mine?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well you're no help

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Provide a smaller enclosure with sound dampening....most aftermarket car speakers are designed to work best in a infinite baffle (enclosed sealed area) those foam pieces help to control speaker excursion (in/out movement)....they will sound better...trust me :D

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Provide a smaller enclosure with sound dampening....most aftermarket car speakers are designed to work best in a infinite baffle (enclosed sealed area) those foam pieces help to control speaker excursion (in/out movement)....they will sound better...trust me :D

sounds promising, but I'm not all that concerned with it right now to be honest.

I'm still running the dang original radio, so that will probably be my next upgrade. smilieeatndrink

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
They also help to keep moisture (rain, car wash) off the cone as well....lots of water can trickle down there...it's cheap insurance!.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts