Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hello Everyone

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Yes just fixing up an 84 F350 with the 6.9L IDI diesel thats running 21 mpg with 2 bad injectors..
Plus those engines are good to 600+ thousand if properly maintained (baring catastrophe of course)

A kid at my school had an 84 F250 diesel with 375k on it when we graduated... but he said the best he could do was 8-10 mpg...

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
375K with no rebuild? compression probably shot, getting all sorts of blowby would be my guess. or he had the IP turned up so much he clogged the injectors and was blowing diesel straight out the exhaust.

The truck was in his family from day 1... went from his grandpa to his dad to his brother to him...

All I know is the engine was original and it was the second trans...

Hearing the diesels can get upper teens is making me look more at them now.. but I'm afraid I won't be able to fix it if it breaks.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
I find diesels easier to work on personally

I'l admit they seem confusing at first (and sometimes still do!) but that for me is because years of working on gassers had me set in a way of approaching problems, only to learn that its a whole new ballpark with diesels on many things.
Once you begin learning about the intricacies of IDI diesel mechanics I think you will quickly find your comfort zone and discover they are actually much simpler machines than EFI gassers

My only experience with diesel has been at my job for the last 6 years... I was the assistant mechanic at a golf course. Most of the industrial mowers, the tractors and the two Bobcat 773 were diesel.

In the 6 years I was there I rebuilt two cylinder heads and r&red on of the Bobcat motors... to this day I don't feel like I learned a damn thing about Diesel engines.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Check out Oilburners.net forums for great info about Diesels of all makes/models/payloads/and induction methods

Im a member over there, not active really ive just been reading up on swapping a 7.3L IDI into my F150 someday

There a bunch of good trucks for sale in my area right now... none in the engine/trans/cab combo I want yet though.

I've been looking for a week... I'm impatient :)

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
There's a fellow on kijiji London that has an '80 F350, it is a dually tho with original box. London, ON.

Tyl

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts