Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

General Dentside Discussion V2

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I've had no issues with Customs...in fact the last trip when I tried to tell the dude that some items were non USA and I knew I would have to pay duty...he told me they were more concerned with the GST than duty and didn't charge me anything for the duty.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The power assist system officially crapped out on me yesterday in Red. I hop in to run an errand and re-arrange vehicles before the storms, it was straight Armstrong steering. Which is by no means fun with 37" Boggers.

I still wouldn't mind picking up a bendix style control valve and it appears I now need the power cylinder as well. So if anyone has one, knows where one is or knows a junkyard that may have one...I'd compensate you for it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So I went to go meet with my buddy to pick his 78 Bronco and other parts. I ended up scoring almost mint OEM, looks like a medium saddle color door panels, headliner trim (was painted, didn't realize that), and a couple other knobs and switches and the like. I only headed up for the headliner trim, and was in Bailee's car, and no tools, and on a schedule. But he also offered up a mint OEM dash pad in the same color as the door panels, front captains chairs, a tailgate and a few other little things like mirror and visors that I plan on taking...and he's offering them all for free...so I'm pretty stoked.

I do have a question about the dash pad though, it's been a while since I took one out, where are the fasteners? Aren't there like 7 screws along the windshield edge, and then a couple that I need to get to from behind the glove box?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Dang, nice score! And free is good too!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I do have a question about the dash pad though, it's been a while since I took one out, where are the fasteners? Aren't there like 7 screws along the windshield edge, and then a couple that I need to get to from behind the glove box?

Yes...and one or two up in the corner at the drivers side.

I think the total is 8, all need to be undone from under the dash. That means you get to take out the instrument cluster and glovebox. Also don't forget about the one in the center of the dash on the small lip that sticks down. This is the one that is almost always forgotten about.There aren't any screws by the windshield edge.

I remember the hidden ones being 11/32" nuts made from sheet metal.

Alvin in AZ

They are all 11/32" nuts.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for the info guys.

And yes Mark, I do have manuals. But some times, it's just easier asking here, because I'm at work with no access to my manuals.

I'm at work with no access to my manuals.
My gripe is that the manuals aren't clear-on or won't even bother to cover
the interior stuff worth anything. Always felt like that's where Haynes has
dropped the ball they should have took up where the factory manuals left
off especially on the clipped-on stuff. Bought some speakers for my ex-GF's
'96 T-bird from Crutchfield and Wow were their instructions great or what? :)

Alvin in AZ

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
My gripe is that the manuals aren't clear-on or won't even bother to cover
the interior stuff worth anything.

Alvin in AZ

I agree Alvin...my Ford manual lists 10 nuts with no real indication of where they are.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Anybody know the last year Ford stopped using the Garrison style power assist system and started using the Bendix power assist system on the dentside 250 4x4's? I wanna say 75 marked the start of the Bendix style.

I think it was 76.

I'll check my book

76F250Powersteeringpartsexplodedview-1.jpg

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So T80,0001 correlates to what year? And do you mind if I use that image Dennis? I'm trying to get what's a supposed Bendix set up in great condition from a guy that's 3 hours away, but he's saying it's coming from a 75. And I wasn't sure if the cross over was 75 or 76. I knew 76 definitely had the Bendix, but wasn't sure about 75.

whooooooooooooops

1974EngineCodesConsecutiveBuildCodes.jpg

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright...thanks a ton Dennis. Guy says his system is in mint condition, no leaks no nothing, $20 if I pull it and $40 is he does. My guess is it's already been rebuilt...but for that price it's hard to go wrong. Considering a rebuilt valve and power cylinder will run you $600 easy.

Bendix seems to be up there with Lucas.

What??????????

Alright...thanks a ton Dennis. Guy says his system is in mint condition, no leaks no nothing, $20 if I pull it and $40 is he does. My guess is it's already been rebuilt...but for that price it's hard to go wrong. Considering a rebuilt valve and power cylinder will run you $600 easy.

What??????????
Bendix things seem to always be a PITA or unredliable just as the Lucas electronics in the British cars.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Bendix things seem to always be a PITA or unredliable just as the Lucas electronics in the British cars.

I wouldn't call 35 years worth of use unreliable or a PITA. It's actually an extremely easy system to dismantle...a little difficult to bleed though, but that's more due to hose geometry. But seeing as I have almost ZERO experience with British cars, that's why I didn't make the connection.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts