Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

broke my rear axle...

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
8.8's are a dime a dozen.

But it's like my Ranger Lariat bezel,they're all still in Running trucks.The junkyard is gonna rip ya for a rear axle too.I knew where there was a 95 8.8,but it's long gone now.I doubt you'd wanna come down here for it anyway.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
heres some more pics.....

SAM_0860.jpg
Ya know, most guys just use wheel spacers to get that look. smilietease

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

optikalillushun

Coal Cracker
looks like the slot for the C clip snapped off the axle. no big deal, just get another shaft and make sure nothing ejected itself into the true-trac. there is a pin that goes through the center of the carrier, with a set screw to hold it in place. once those are removed u press the axle shafts together towards the carrier and the c-clips will fall out then u can remove the axle shafts. who did the true-trac install? i would suspect improper installation...

and id avoid the c-clip eliminator. they leak oil and arent all that great unless u are racing the truck and need it to take a severe beating.

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
looks like the slot for the C clip snapped off the axle. no big deal, just get another shaft and make sure nothing ejected itself into the true-trac. there is a pin that goes through the center of the carrier, with a set screw to hold it in place. once those are removed u press the axle shafts together towards the carrier and the c-clips will fall out then u can remove the axle shafts. who did the true-trac install? i would suspect improper installation...

and id avoid the c-clip eliminator. they leak oil and arent all that great unless u are racing the truck and need it to take a severe beating.

i have no idea who installed it. i bought the rear used after 2500 miles on the rebuild...

Fellro

Staff member
Why and how would it be improper installation causing the end of the axle to break off? If so, there are a lot of them done wrong... It is more likely it suffered hard cornering...

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I see your tailgate is KOed in the same place as mine.....Sucks about the rearend but it coulda been worse. You coulda been goin 55 when the axle popped out...in which case the pictures wouldn't have been so......"nice". On another pitch same note, you should wait till your truck fully shifts into reverse before you smack the throttle.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I see your tailgate is KOed in the same place as mine.....Sucks about the rearend but it coulda been worse. You coulda been goin 55 when the axle popped out...in which case the pictures wouldn't have been so......"nice". On another pitch same note, you should wait till your truck fully shifts into reverse before you smack the throttle.

i do.........

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
This should be a relatively easy fix...are you done yet?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I don't blame you. My friend that was going to regear my F250 died.:headbang:

yeah, i aint gonna try to fix it and then screw it up and then have to pay the shop anyways to fix it. might as well have them fix it right and get my truck on the road quicker...

bad thing is, i still havent heard anything from them yet bout it...

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ok so damage report...

drivers side axle shaft had broke at the c clip, but the clip is fine. passenger side has a crack in it. c clip is fine... it is confirmed a detroit Tru trac.

so yeah.. should be fixed by tomorrow..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
But the big question is...what kinda damage to your wallet is this gonna cause.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Good question. You do know the price before the working is getting done right?

ok so damage report...

drivers side axle shaft had broke at the c clip, but the clip is fine. passenger side has a crack in it. c clip is fine... it is confirmed a detroit Tru trac.

so yeah.. should be fixed by tomorrow..

So you gonna upgrade tha axle now??

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ok... i didnt give the go ahead yet, he had to get prices...

350+tax.... the shop gave me a huge break on the price since they are family friends..

and the work WILL be done right..

and thats all bearings and seals..

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles