Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anybody see anything wrong with my VIN???

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The 1978 I would think correlates to the year of your truck. Trans code F= T-18.

Axle code 23= D61 5300#'s with 3.31's
J= Power steering.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
D61= Dana 61
5300 #'s= # capacity
3.31= gears

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Naive question is next. Is that a good axle and gearing?

The axle is fine...I really don't know a whole lot about the D61 though. But I wouldn't worry about swapping it out. As for the gearing, they'll give you pretty good mpg's, but more than likely a little doggy off the line.

Ben i spotted a problem with you VIN...
Its registered to you, when we all know its supposed to be registered to me. :)

Thanks for clearing that up for me Don...it all makes sense now.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So you want to go ahead and take care of that for me?
Much apreciated...
Ill be buy in about a week to pick up my truck... :)

Well seeing as it's been in my name for the last 8 years, I really don't see any use in changing it now. I mean I really don't need the faux build sheet from Ford anyway since I have the original. So I think I'll leave it as is for now.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Well your name or not, im still taking it. Figured it would be easier for me if it was in my name, but i guess ill just have to steal it!

Just kidding Ben. But i really do like that truck!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks Don...and you just reminded me...I forgot all about my 8 year anniversary with Red...I picked it up September 23, 2001...and I missed it, shoot. On the other hand...she was on the road and completed after the restore on October 15, 2003. Hopefully I won't forget that one.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Happy Anniversary! My truck and I have been happily married for 6 years now.

Thanks...and same to you. She was my first, and I don't see any reason why we would split up...she's heir loom material. Although, in the next couple of years, she'll need a little surgery to keep her to my liking.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Got an update from Ford today about Red...they said she was too old for the Research Department to have the records, so they had to dig a little deeper into the Archives department. I believe there in lies the problem, and somebody didn't wanna do that digging the first time around. So then when I sent pics of the VIN, they couldn't just say I was mistaken with what the VIN said. They said it should only take another week and then send it out.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
WOW...just got a call from Ford...and with the picture evidence, they still tell me my VIN is wrong. WOOOOOOOOOOOOW

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I didn't go back and check the thread, but did you take the one off the frame?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You would think it would be enough...is there any chance that the truck was molested?.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You would think it would be enough...is there any chance that the truck was molested?.

None what so ever...it was a one family truck...that my dad has been friends with for 15 years. When I bought the truck, it was a legit 86k on the clock and came with a 2" binder of any type of maintenance. And even if it were molested, and didn't match the truck...you can clearly see the the physical VIN hasn't been touched and the pics shows it matches in 2 places and I know it matches on the frame.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts