Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anybody see anything wrong with my VIN???

If that isn't enough for Ford. Have them call me on skype: mil1ion1

The didn't use O' s and i's for certain things.

They used O's on cast engine parts

They used O's in Vin#'s

They didn't use i's in Vin #'s or cast engine parts.

0's or zeros are elongated. O's are round

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright...thanks again Dennis. Guess I was a little hesitant because I always thought it was a zero. Just goes to show, don't go against the literature king...haha.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I dont suppose anybody would decode my Vin on the 72?

Sure...what is it? But if there are OH's...I'm screwed...hahaha. But go ahead and post. You need the WP decoded too?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Its in my last post. Whats the WP?

Got it now:
Here's the VIN break down:

Your Model Year is February 1972.

Truck Series: F250 4 Wheel Drive

Engine: V8 - 360cid, 2BBL carb

Assembly on: San Jose, CA

Gimme a minute on the rest...

131= WB is 131"
Color M= Wimbledon White
Code F262= 250 4x4 with 7700GVW
Body 234= Custom lt blue/md blue vinyl
Trans A= NP435
Axle 24= Dana 4.10's

The next three are self explanatory

DSO code= SLC

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I edited for the rest...now your VIN and WP are decoded.

78RatingPlate2.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I got some info on my VIN F25HECC4337 <<<Look Ben, no OH's My truck was made up in north jersey. It came with a 351 2bbl.

Hardy Har har

Thanks Ben. Whats the DSO code mean again?

Good question...I think it stands for Domestic Special Order. And here's some info from Bill:

Bill:
This info is only partially correct, note the corrections in red.

If the DSO code is two numbers, they refer to the District Sales (Zone) Office, where the original selling dealer ordered the vehicle from.

Prolly 90% + of all trucks assembled, have a two digit DSO.

6 numbered DSO: The first two numbers refer to the District Sales Office.

The next 4 numbers are the: Domestic Special Order number. In other words, the original purchaser ordered something that was not an RPO = Regular Production Order.

This can be special paint, special body, etc etc etc...the list is endless.

Why a 6 numbered DSO code? If the vehicle comes in for service, and the parts are not listed in the parts catalog for whatever is special, the dealer contacts FoMoCo, gives them the 6 digit DSO.

Ford looks up the order number, tells the dealer what the parts are, and where to get them if not Ford parts...or gives the dealer the specifics of the paint.

The DSO system was initiated in 1948 for trucks (1949 for passenger cars) and is still in use today.

The first 2 digits of any special domestic order is always the district it is in

SLC Utah - 73 thus a special order vehicle would go 73xxxx

Chicago = 41xxxx

1978FordDSOCodes.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So what I'm gathering from this Dan is...if your truck had anything special about it...it would have another 4 digits in the DSO. And the numbers you do have is just telling you it was built in San Jose, and sent to SLC to be sold. Right Dennis?

So what I'm gathering from this Dan is...if your truck had anything special about it...it would have another 4 digits in the DSO. And the numbers you do have is just telling you it was built in San Jose, and sent to SLC to be sold. Right Dennis?

Correct. when I typed in the SLC code I wasn't aware of where 1985 Ford F-150 resided.

I picked SLC because my Nephew lives there and that city name comes up in many conversations.

I suppose I made a good guess.;)

Had that truck been a special order is might have looked like this.

meaning it was the 128th special order from that region.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts