Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anybody see anything wrong with my VIN???

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Hmmm maybe when ya go back home to swap in the 400 go take a real close look at it. The one on the 72 is kinda hard to read and I mistook an N for an M.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hmmm maybe when ya go back home to swap in the 400 go take a real close look at it. The one on the 72 is kinda hard to read and I mistook an N for an M.

Trust me Dan...I know what I'm looking at, everything matches. Just had a guy on another site that told me that Ford told him his truck was just an illusion too...haha. I wonder if there's not some sorta flub up with the 77's before Y20,000

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I also think it's the whole VIN being old and not 17 characters long that is causing you trouble.

The other thing you can try Ben is go to this place.
http://www.martiauto.com/

You have to pay a little money, but the reports are better than what you get from Ford anyway.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks Buck...like I said earlier, since I have the original, I'm really not too worried about. I just thought it would be cool to have another little piece. But now, I wanna know why they think it's wrong. As for the Marti...yeah, I wanted to get one of those too...sadly though, it's not too high on the college budget priority list.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Thanks Buck...like I said earlier, since I have the original, I'm really not too worried about. I just thought it would be cool to have another little piece. But now, I wanna know why they think it's wrong. As for the Marti...yeah, I wanted to get one of those too...sadly though, it's not too high on the college budget priority list.

Yeah, they are not cheap. I bought one just because I needed a new replacement VIN tag and door jamb sticker because my truck originally had swapped on parts all over and I used a title from the donor cab and then lost my VIN plate and ran into a mess. My DMV was giving me the runaround for a replacement VIN plate, so Marti came through and now I'm good. But, I had to pay a pretty penny for it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
WOW...thanks for that Dennis. So you're saying that 6th digit is an 'OH'...and not a 'Zero'. Why would they put a letter in the sequence number?

Well now...this is getting a little frustrating...just got off the phone with the folks at Ford, and they said they don't use "Oh's" or "I's" in their VINs. So now we're back to my truck not existing...haha.

Well i could believe that FMC did not use "O" or "I" in the sequence number since those letters are easily confused with numbers. Until Dennis posted that picture none of the vin decoders i have use a letter in the sequence code for 1977 model year.
Ben FMC used letters in the sequence code for many model years, in fact in the 1973-79 series the 1977 year was the only one without a letter in the sequence code.

It might have somethin to do with early 77.

Actually Ben's truck was a late build 1977 model (December) the model run stopped at 99,999 sequence code.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for the info...and I think Dan just meant the fact that 77 had a midyear change and that I have Dec. '76 truck...so maybe paperwork got flubbed up/lost somewhere along the line.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The Dennis Carpenter and the JBG catalog both list the 77 model year with two different Sequential ID number ranges. The first set is Sequential ID #
O00,001 to O99,999. The first designator is the LETTER O.

NOCO77

Somethin' Like That
The Dennis Carpenter and the JBG catalog both list the 77 model year with two different Sequential ID number ranges. The first set is Sequential ID #

That's right, and my '77 falls in the other range - X82757

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Alright...thanks. I guess I'll try it again using the 'O'...but this time instead of someone telling me I'm wrong, I'll go the email route.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If you send an email, maybe include a pic of your VIN tag so they can't tell you that you are wrong.

You better believe it...Mom couldn't find a key to truck, so she had to wait for dad this morning to take the pic.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I don't know about the old trucks but as far as I know no vehicle manufacturer uses the letter 'I' or 'O' because it gets confused with '1' and '0' on newer vehicles.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I don't know about the old trucks but as far as I know no vehicle manufacturer uses the letter 'I' or 'O' because it gets confused with '1' and '0' on newer vehicles.

I really think what it's coming down to is the fact that the folks I've dealt with are getting confused between pre-80 and post-80 VINs. Considering they probably deal with the post 80 format 95% of the time, they're probably assuming a 17 digit VIN is what they should see...with or without certain letters.

So...I'm just gonna email them my VIN, probably relay what has happened to this point...and send them pics of the door plate and the frame...just waiting on the pics.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright...Finally got my mom to send me pic. Now I want Ford to tell me my truck doesn't exist:

VIN2.jpg

VIN4.jpg

So can anyone make out if that is in fact a ZERO or an OH...I thought it was a Zero, Ford said they didn't do OH's...but some of you seem to think differently.

Just copy the image of the build numbers I posted,.

tell them it is in every 1977 shop manual and it is definitely an OHHHHHH..

77BuildNumberscloseup.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts